Another Game Glitch

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

barrmorris

Re: Another Game Glitch

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 5:00 pm

I scraped the play by play of the regular season of your league. King Kelly had a 1-5 roll 10 times during the season with all of them being doubles. One occurred in the tenth inning with 0 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd (game 77) and another happened in the top of the ninth with you down 7-6, no outs, runner on 1st (game 89).

So the miscoded card idea doesn't appear to be true (unless this should have been a triple, and the miscoding made it an out). I couldn't find another instance where "guarding the lines" took the hit away.

I'd really like to see a response from SOM.

chuckwonup

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 8:29 pm

Yes guarding the lines does make sense now to me. I almost retired. But how is this coming up now? Weird cause it’s not like I’m the only one who pays attention to the rolls and have it 2x. Tks

STEVE F

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 pm

chuckwonup wrote:Yes guarding the lines does make sense now to me. I almost retired. But how is this coming up now? Weird cause it’s not like I’m the only one who pays attention to the rolls and have it 2x. Tks

I'm convinced that they ARE using the doubles/triples/guarding lines effects , regardless of what the outdated Wiki says. It's the only thing to explain all of these strange results in the past 6 months to a year now. I tried to bring this up in another thread, but was quickly shot down by some more experienced players. But the evidence just keeps mounting.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:16 pm

Steve F, that sounds logical. Outdated Wiki, I bet that's true. This happened late in the game, guarding the lines in effect.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:21 pm

I know MaxPower often cites the Wiki, but does he have a view on this exact situation? (Perhaps the Wiki is not as absolute as many think. Argue otherwise.)
Last edited by Hack Wilson on Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

STEVE F

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:42 pm

Whatever the case, I just wish that Strat would be a bit more transparent in telling us how things work. In the old days, you rolled the dice and all the results were right in front of you. Not so much now.

MaxPower

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 5:42 am

It does sound like guarding lines is the most likely explanation, suggesting Strat coded it separately from the Doubles/Triples option it is a part of in the Windows game. Wish they would turn off these max rules that add nothing to the game and only sow confusion amongst players.

childsmwc

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Another option could be advanced ball park effects on triples and doubles. In addition to guarding the lines, I thought that the computer version of the game actually had triples ratings for ballparks (think W rated hitters can't get a HR off the pitcher card). Again its been along time since I have used the computer version of the game (still haven't downloaded the free copy I got for the barnstormers tour).

Just checked and here is and explanation of the max rules doubles/triples option I found on the web. the same rule covering guarding the lines also has the BP triples effect I was describing:

Doubles/Triples options - According to SOM, they feel it is a little too easy to get triples in the C&D game. So triples may turn into doubles. In addition ballparks has double/triple ratings (similar to the C&D game's singles/HRs rating). Finally, Guard Lines become a defensive option, which adds depth to defense management.

MaxPower

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 3:49 am

It's possible the whole doubles/triples option is turned on, who's to say at this point. I had assumed it wasn't because the Windows help file claims that only AL and NL parks are rated for the setting, meaning it wouldn't apply in any of the NeL parks. Which would be weird but no more weird than separately coding for guard lines and not documenting it. Or maybe even the Windows help file is out of date. Would be really nice if they responded to these kinds of queries because results like these throw so many things into question.

dcopy7

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 am

chuckwonup wrote:I had another game glitch that has me frustrated. A few months back I posted a error in a game when Skip Schumacher had a roll of 3-5 and it was recorded as an out but is actually a double. A few responded to the post and were also stymied as to the reason and it was suggested I try "contact us." Well I never got a response.

So here we go again. This time with King Kelly on a 1-5 roll in the bottom of the 8th in a game I lost in the 13th eliminating me in a playoff semi-final. 1-5 is a Triple 1-3, Double 4-20.

So this is not right and undermines some of basics of what you expect out of the game. While I don't think we have reached WestWorld level I must say it leaves me wondering. I bet this is not the only event and it has happened to others.

So any suggestions? This event could lead to my retirement.

Probably had a lot to due with the fatigue factors as I have had same thing happen: ie: if players that only batted 300 ab are in over 300 it changes the rulings, same with pitchers…read up on it in the rules.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats