Glitch

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

Re: Glitch

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:46 am

STEVE F wrote:I think it's unlikely a D bunter would attempt to bunt for a hit. That leaves the guarding the lines play as the best possible explanation.

Guarding lines is part of Doubles/Triples Effects, which is listed as inoperative.
gkhd11a wrote:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/460039/573

So found another game with the 3-5 and he did have a double so the game data appears to be loaded correctly, therefore the only explanation seems to be bunting for a hit, begging question if he is marked do not bunt, if he is it would seem this is a "glitch"

If it was a bunt for a hit, why would any dice roll be listed? There are no dice involved in that play.

chuckwonup

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 7:53 am

Hey thanks for all the responses. Couple questions my way to answer. I have do not bunt for a sac marked if that answers the do not bunt question. My setting for bunting is normal. He is a D bunter as mentioned. I have never seen bunting for a hit displayed but if it was why would 3-5 be the roll?

The one thing that stands out is I have had Skip numerous times and 3-5 has been a Double, if it is not a Double it is a new event. So I think the card being displayed improperly is out.

The no Doubles thing... well you guys are giving me technical reasons that is beyond my understanding of the game as possible explanations. Intuitively it just does not make sense to list a roll (3-5) as Double but it is an out. Imagine if that became a regular occurrence in other situations?

I really appreciate the help here. I did interrogate family members because I thought perhaps someone switched my coffee to decaf. Was it the Parthenon where you went to get an answer for everything? I will try the contact us first and update.

STEVE F

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 12:08 pm

MaxPower wrote:
STEVE F wrote:I think it's unlikely a D bunter would attempt to bunt for a hit. That leaves the guarding the lines play as the best possible explanation.

Guarding lines is part of Doubles/Triples Effects, which is listed as inoperative.
gkhd11a wrote:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/460039/573

So found another game with the 3-5 and he did have a double so the game data appears to be loaded correctly, therefore the only explanation seems to be bunting for a hit, begging question if he is marked do not bunt, if he is it would seem this is a "glitch"

If it was a bunt for a hit, why would any dice roll be listed? There are no dice involved in that play.

Guarding lines is NOT part of ballpark triples/doubles effect.

MaxPower

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 1:13 pm

STEVE F wrote:Guarding lines is NOT part of ballpark triples/doubles effect.

Oh but it is. From the Windows help file:

DOUBLES/TRIPLES (Located in the Options/Rules/Max Rules menu)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By selecting this maximum rule the following items are added to the game:

1) Ballpark doubles and triples are added for all AL and NL seasons.

2) The ability to guard the lines to prevent extra base hits late in the game is available.

3) Excess triple problem is resolved. Players who hit below 1/2 the league mean of triples will now perform properly as these extra triples will be replaced with doubles. For instance a player who hit no triples will not get any triples directly off a pitchers card (these will be turned into doubles), however the small possibility of a triple occurring from the fielding chart still remains.

Hack Wilson

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 pm

Interesting thread ...

(Was it the Parthenon where you went to get an answer for everything? I will try the contact us first and update.)

... It was the Oracle in Greece where people went to get their answers. As for this question raised, I don't know, so perhaps a trip to Greece is in order. Hal certainly won't tell us.

chuckwonup

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 10:41 pm

No doubles… guarding the line… don’t seem right I never seen a hit taken away like that. Has anyone else? It’s just seems so against how the game is played. Oh it’s an out no doubles was set?

MaxPower

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 11:08 pm

chuckwonup wrote:No doubles… guarding the line… don’t seem right I never seen a hit taken away like that. Has anyone else? It’s just seems so against how the game is played. Oh it’s an out no doubles was set?

I've seen it plenty in the Windows game where the play-by-play helpfully notes when the max rule intervenes. But the setting is turned off in 365.

gkhd11a

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 12:23 am

Maybe Tony LaRussa is HAL.

STEVE F

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 12:05 pm

MaxPower wrote:
STEVE F wrote:Guarding lines is NOT part of ballpark triples/doubles effect.

Oh but it is. From the Windows help file:

DOUBLES/TRIPLES (Located in the Options/Rules/Max Rules menu)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By selecting this maximum rule the following items are added to the game:

1) Ballpark doubles and triples are added for all AL and NL seasons.

2) The ability to guard the lines to prevent extra base hits late in the game is available.

3) Excess triple problem is resolved. Players who hit below 1/2 the league mean of triples will now perform properly as these extra triples will be replaced with doubles. For instance a player who hit no triples will not get any triples directly off a pitchers card (these will be turned into doubles), however the small possibility of a triple occurring from the fielding chart still remains.

You are absolutely right. I checked it. Prior to that, I was pretty sure I was in at least one windows league where we could guard lines without ballpark effects being used, but after double checking I was wrong.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats