Ballpark Effects

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nevdully's

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:08 am

Here's what Max can't is missing ....Some of us came before him AND...before the wiki pages...and the wiki pages ONLY EXIST because about a dozen of us lobbied long and hard to get them written.

gkhd11a

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:11 am

nevdully's wrote:"English
Etymology 1
From no +‎ one. Compare Middle English noone, noon, noan (“noone”). More at none"

and upon closer inspection it, like you, is nonstandard and not preferred. :mrgreen:

Michael what an ugly thing to say, I abhor ugliness. Does this mean we're not friends anymore? If I thought you wern't my friend I just don't think I could bear it.

nevdully's

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:16 am

The max rules are dumb. Most of them should be turned off. It would be great if the play-by-play documented when a max rule intervened. But they only affect a small percentage of rolls. (he says this like he knows it as a fact, he doesn't) Folks should stop obsessing over them. And they should especially stop obsessing over the ones that do not exist. (Max also absolutely does not know what exists and what doesn't as evidenced by Bernie's deep dive into his BPV2 logic...Bernie didn't even know! And they ESPECIALLY should stop spreading misinformation about rules that are off secretly being on. See bold 1 and 2

MaxPower

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:25 am

This is what I can't figure out nev...why spend all that effort lobbying for the max rules to be documented if you aren't going to believe the documentation that gets produced?

Salty

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:26 am

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:2. The fact is that if you haven't played in a given league, one shouldn't be entitled to the data from said leagues.
To me, the fact that SoM has allowed someone to get it bc they know how to scrape plates is just wrong.

LOL. Idk what "scraping plates" is.

Here is a league I'm in: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/460050

You're saying that link should lead to a dead page unless you're a league member? Why? What about the Barnstormers standings? Those shouldn't link to players' leagues or teams? What an odd, paranoid view to have.
Salty wrote:3. You have 'done the math' -- in what way exactly? You've figured out which players do well in a given environment...how is that 'doing the math' that explains all the results?

It explains the results well enough to win 93 out of every 162 games. Is that not enough?
Salty wrote:THATS HOW I HAVE FUN

Dude, that's totally fine. I'm just here trying to give you good news: that if you DID decide to approach it as a math problem, you would learn what I have learned: that the cards produce the expected results and the influence of max rules is minimal. But since it sounds like that wouldn't be fun for you, just keep doing what you find fun, and take my word for it! Or keep believing in paranoid bullshit, your call really.

what value is it to look through a bunch of data you had no part in- copy what other people have done in leagues you haven't played in, and figured out from there what might work best?
Seriously- can you win in a pitchers park?
can you win in a medium park?
can you win in a 2/3 -1/3 park ?
etc etc etc --
If your goal is just to win doing what others have done- I guess great.

Now second- saying 'I win at a rate thats half a game better than you out of ten proves that 'I know' everything about how the game works mathematically isn't really very convincing to me.
In fact what Id suggest to you is that its the other way around - the fact that I can win in all kinds of environments by coming up with strategies might mean Ive got a better grasp on it---
I know its tough to consider that.

MaxPower

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:31 am

Salty wrote:what value is it to look through a bunch of data you had no part in- copy what other people have done in leagues you haven't played in, and figured out from there what might work best?

That would be indeed be pretty lame, especially if it had any resemblance to how I actually put my teams together.
Salty wrote:Seriously- can you win in a pitchers park?

If only there were some tournament that tests our ability to win in different parks. Ah well, guess we'll just have to wonder.

Salty

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:35 am

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:what value is it to look through a bunch of data you had no part in- copy what other people have done in leagues you haven't played in, and figured out from there what might work best?

That would be indeed be pretty lame, especially if it had any resemblance to how I actually put my teams together.
Salty wrote:Seriously- can you win in a pitchers park?

If only there were some tournament that tests our ability to win in different parks. Ah well, guess we'll just have to wonder.

LOL-
perhaps ive got you confused with the data scraping guy - you both talk very similarly and don't play high cap leagues- so wouldn't know much.
if you think barnstormers is the ultimate test of som knowledge more power to you.
I don't.

nevdully's

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:45 am

Max...if you were told repeatedly for "X" years the original rules written were what was in play....when in fact they absolutely were not (not even close)...would you believe, with certainty, that the wiki pages are full disclosure? I do believe they take huge steps to understanding the game much better...but nope...I don't think that's all there is to it.

And that doesn't even begin to take into account all the unknowns and bugs Bernie uncovered when looking into just one aspect of the game's code.

FWIW.... I was reading a post about two weeks ago, from years back, from Charlie, claiming he believed SOM were replaying games to give Bruce (Petrsosian, Last Druid) a few extra wins to keep his big ego in check and his mouth shut...Charlie said he believed it, and it would be easy to do...Ya can look it up...so where on the wiki pages does it account for that Chuck???
Last edited by nevdully's on Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxPower

PostFri May 27, 2022 12:58 am

Salty wrote:perhaps ive got you confused with the data scraping guy - you both talk very similarly and don't play high cap leagues- so wouldn't know much.

No that's me, you're just misunderstanding what I used the data for. I would have no need to "copy" other teams because I calculate the value of every card in the set based on wOBA and build my teams from there. The scraped data was to determine the run environments at different caps and help me rank my draft cards by giving me an idea of card popularity. The cards I target in the first place are based on expected production though, nothing to do with how popular they are.

Salty

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:22 am

MaxPower wrote:
Salty wrote:perhaps ive got you confused with the data scraping guy - you both talk very similarly and don't play high cap leagues- so wouldn't know much.

No that's me, you're just misunderstanding what I used the data for. I would have no need to "copy" other teams because I calculate the value of every card in the set based on wOBA and build my teams from there. The scraped data was to determine the run environments at different caps and help me rank my draft cards by giving me an idea of card popularity. The cards I target in the first place are based on expected production though, nothing to do with how popular they are.

LOL-
Yep- you are the data scraper-
Why did you change monikers?
how many more monikers do you have?
You say you didn't copy teams- but essentially you did, just in a different way than someone who joins a league and sees what players someone is using in a given park-
you just missed the 'join the league part' at the front end-
and now when you say its paranoia that someone shouldn't be able to use data they had nothing to do with, sorry, but it doesnt hold any water.
What the real difference between what you've done and someone accessing everyone's draft cards for example?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats