How a BP HR 1-20 Turns Into a Single

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

DBR412294

How a BP HR 1-20 Turns Into a Single

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:55 am

Hi all, relatively new to SOM.

I achieved the following result in my ATG 9 All Eras game, $100 million with DH.

1 N.Fox 4-2 Single (RF) b-1 bpHR 1-20 F9

Any ideas why this was a single and not a home run? This happened in the bottom of the 6th inning of my game (70th of the season) in what ended up being a one-run loss.

Did I accidentally roll the D20 off the table? Did Video Replay confirm fan interference at the Baker Bowl '32 resulting in a single instead of a home run? Here is the pitcher's card in question for a 4-2:

Casey Patten (1903) - (Fox is a lefty)
#2- HR 1-8
fly(lf)B 9-20

Appreciate any insights that might explain what happened.

Thanks!

jjii66

Re: How a BP HR 1-20 Turns Into a Single

PostTue May 17, 2022 11:06 am

I'm pretty sure it's because Nellie Fox has "W" power against lefties. He can't hit a homer off the pitcher's card.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/help/hittercard

Frank Bailey

PostTue May 17, 2022 11:11 am

On the blue (vs. L) and red (vs. R) horizontal line across the middle of Fox's card are printed the percentage of at bats he had against that side and a power rating. If, as are all of Fox's cards against lefties, the rating is weak, a ballpark homer is changed to a single. He just doesn't have the juice to get it past the warning track.

Welcome to the game and enjoy all the little surprises you will encounter along your path here.

nomadbrad

PostTue May 17, 2022 12:26 pm

jjii66 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's because Nellie Fox has "W" power against lefties. He can't hit a homer off the pitcher's card.

This is a COMMON occurrence on Bill Dahlen's 6.35 card when facing righty pitching. Not sure why they put BallPark HRs vs RHP when Dahlen is "W"....but they did and he picks up a ton of BP Singles in power stadiums, and yet NOT in a singles park like Forbes....very weird concept.

DBR412294

PostTue May 17, 2022 12:41 pm

Thanks all for the clarification, much appreciated!

MaxPower

PostTue May 17, 2022 4:40 pm

nomadbrad wrote:
jjii66 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's because Nellie Fox has "W" power against lefties. He can't hit a homer off the pitcher's card.

This is a COMMON occurrence on Bill Dahlen's 6.35 card when facing righty pitching. Not sure why they put BallPark HRs vs RHP when Dahlen is "W"....but they did and he picks up a ton of BP Singles in power stadiums, and yet NOT in a singles park like Forbes....very weird concept.

Whoa. That seems like a mistake on their part. I thought W hitters never had BPHR on that side of their card. Is it just Dahlen or are there others?

BC15NY

PostTue May 17, 2022 6:03 pm

MaxPower wrote:
nomadbrad wrote:

Whoa. That seems like a mistake on their part. I thought W hitters never had BPHR on that side of their card. Is it just Dahlen or are there others?

There are at least several cards from the 1800s that have that condition present. I believe it is isolated to those early players. Not sure it is a mistake, just different.

MaxPower

PostTue May 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the info. Sure would be nice if either Diamond Dope or the official Strat spreadsheet had power ratings...

MaxPower

PostTue May 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Checking everyone through 1910, it looks like the latest this occurs is 1900. Learned something new today, thanks again guys.

mykeedee

PostWed May 18, 2022 8:17 am

These are still ballpark homers on Dahlen's (and others) cards. A W power hitter cannot get a HR off the pitchers card, but he can hit a homer off of his own card, even a BP homer. It only becomes a single when rolled on the pitchers card.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats