quick question on base stealing settings

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Re: quick question on base stealing settings

PostMon May 16, 2022 1:06 pm

Outta Leftfield wrote:So, evgerich and Frankie, would I be well advised, do you think, to set such a team on Very Aggressive baserunning, or just leave the setting as Aggressive? It seems like a close call to me.
Thanks for your thoughts.

On bomber teams, I always set my team to extra conservative baserunning, as I don't want a guy getting caught trying to stretch something and end an inning with Barry Bonds coming up next. Nor do I want him to get caught trying to stretch something and turn a 2 run homer into a solo homer.

And if you have slow guys mixed in the lineup that makes it all the more likely that you don't want them making outs on the bases.

FrankieT

PostMon May 16, 2022 1:52 pm

Stealing: Note that while the letter rating is a convenient shorthand, it is not used with the super advanced rules (the letter ratings are from the basic/advanced game).

I don't check anyone to steal more if they have a chance of an automatic out/pickoff (which is the number after the slash, if present). The best gauge is to watch the data and tweak it depending on opponent.

I agree with all that rich said on this, including the bomber team running advice. Not that I matter--I just mean that what he said agrees with my real world data and experiences. Obviously it seems to agree with his too or he wouldn't do it--I prefer data-driven decisions, not theoretical hunches.

Running: If you have no slugs (maybe a 13-15 catcher...but see Lab's example earlier) and clearly a superior running team of 15s to 17s, I always set to very aggressive, unless a team has an OF of all -3 to -5 arms. Which is rare. Other than that, it depends. If I am in a high singles park, I may be more aggressive no matter what the OF arms are.

The other second order effect of the high OBA/high speed teams is they frequently have guys who are being held on. Translation: all those gbx outs may be singles through the side with the held runner.
So it shouldn't come up, but this is why it is important to have *rated stealers who get leads and will get held--because it creates a few more opportunities for hits and less double plays from guys with gbA+ if the infield is in etc.
Last edited by FrankieT on Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrankieT

PostMon May 16, 2022 2:06 pm

Case in point.
Here is a team that is very successful using most of my typical buildout.
But look at what you lose with Ordonez and Yost (and delahanty and O'Rourke/Travis) on baserunning. For me, this is the absolute limit on slowness for smallball (but there were league reasons for this construction).
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/misc/1678184

It is a tradeoff--in this case so I could afford speaker and cobb.

I love cobb as a run producer unless it is the 11.02 card.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats