HOF Voting BS!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FRANKMANSUETO

HOF Voting BS!

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:35 pm

It's Official! Baseball Writers are HYPOCRITES and should ALL lose their credentials! They vote in Ortiz and nix Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod and others. Yes Ortiz is mentioned in the Mitchell Report. Please don't give the false positive nonsense either.

MaxPower

Re: HOF Voting BS!

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:04 pm

Ortiz is not mentioned in the Mitchell Report. He was mentioned in the NYT article that reported the results of the anonymous survey test. Hardly a smoking gun IMO. My question is why Ortiz sails in in his first year of eligibility, the same year that Sosa falls off the ballot entirely, when the evidence of juicing is identical, and Sosa had the superior career. I have no problem with Ortiz getting in, but Sosa was done dirty by the writers, moreso than any other steroid-era player IMO, because there's at least a chance that he never even used.

Verbal Warrior

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:38 pm

I saw a clip on ESPN where a bunch of writers were explaining how they would not vote for Bonds or Clemens. They were mostly a bunch of younger guys, had a whiff of conceit, like they were these moral guardians of the game. I don't know how you get to be a BBWA voter, I don't care, the process is inherently flawed. It should be a combo of writers, executives, players and fans. A player should not be punished because he was callous or testy when you tried to interview him or made it clear that he didn't respect your job. Guess what? By not voting in these obvious HOFers we don't respect your job either. Shame on MLB and shame on these moral nitwits who won't get out of their own way to honor the game with all of its flaws.

visick

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:44 am

Correct me if I'm wrong...but

I don't think Bonds ever failed a MLB drug test.

PJ Axelsson

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 pm

They should all get in.

gkhd11a

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:51 am

The case for not voting them in is because of the enormous pressure that occurs to individuals who were not taking performance enhancing drugs to take the drugs since that is who is getting paid and setting all the records. I suppose most here would also be for Lance Armstrong to retain his money from the PED enhanced Tour de France and give him his 7 titles back, where he forced his teammates to use his doctors for PED and threatened and harmed peoples lives if they revealed anything.

Similarly Bonds became quite physically imposing:

"Former girlfriend Kimberly Bell's deposition was similar to Hoskins', detailing how Bonds began to use steroids in 1999, administered by personal trainer Anderson. She described the physiological and behavioral changes that she claims ensued, including hair loss, acne, impotence, and increasingly violent and threatening behavior."

He did test Postive for PEDS:

The prosecution then provided evidence in the form of two positive urine samples seized from a test facility in Las Vegas, NV in 2004. They were part of MLB's 2003 survey of players to determine whether systematic testing would be introduced. Technicians from UCLA's Olympic Analytical Laboratory testified that one sample contained the synthetic steroid THG, testosterone not produced by the body, and a female fertility drug which is a known steroid precursor. The defense had objected to the introduction of this evidence, but Judge Illston allowed it. Bonds's personal surgeon, Dr. Arthur Ting, confirmed that he had provided Hoskins with literature on the effects of anabolic steroids in 1999, but denied that he had had any further conversations about the matter, contradicting Hoskins' earlier testimony. One of the most damaging testimonies for Bonds came from Hoskins' sister Kathy, who had been employed by Bonds as a personal shopper; she testified that she had seen Anderson inject Bonds with a substance in 2002, in direct contradiction to Bonds's statement to the BALCO grand jury. Although she did not know the contents of the syringe, the shot was in the belly button, the usual location for injections of human growth hormone.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Trial_of_Barry_Bonds

Barry Bonds paid Balco to develop a synthetic steroid that would be undetectable which became known as "the Clear" which was the key to his getting his conviction of obstruction of justice thrown out after losing 4 appeals, as it was not specifically listed, therefore he claims he never used performance enhancing drugs
https://sports.yahoo.com/li-clear011409.html

This is who you want in your Hall of Fame.

The GOAT

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:40 pm

If Cap Anson is in the HOF with all his racist history, not sure character should be such a huge factor over if the player was a dominant force during their career and NEVER suspended by MLB.

The HOF has plenty of other questionable characters like Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker.

Gaylord Perry had a pretty common use of doctored baseballs and still was put in the HOF.

And the high and mighty BBWA only put Jackie Robinson in the HOF by four votes at 77.5% With his ground breaking role, what possibly could the 22.5% of the voters have for not voting him in since they are supposedly the guardians of the character of the HOF. :roll:

honestiago

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 am

The GOAT wrote:And the high and mighty BBWA only put Jackie Robinson in the HOF by four votes at 77.5% With his ground breaking role, what possibly could the 22.5% of the voters have for not voting him in since they are supposedly the guardians of the character of the HOF. :roll:

No kidding. Willie Mays did not get 100% of the vote first time out. Mickey Mantle? 88.2%. Hank Aaron=98%.

I'm not sure what these guys are thinking sometimes.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats