We have lost "The Last Druid"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ptolemy323

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am

Hi All,

I did not personally know Bruce / Druid, but I did fully recognize the challenge before me in any league in which we both appeared. I appreciate all of the posts - I feel I've gotten to know him a bit better.

Sincerely,

Brad C.

PJ Axelsson

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 am

Very sad to hear this news. Bruce certainly belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of this Strat community.

:(

Radagast Brown

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:14 pm

That's too bad. We used to communicate and he did give me life advice as well as STRAT-O-MATIC advice. We were even FACEBOOK FRIENDS for quite a while. ..

I was disappointed that he doxed me and posted personal information about me in this public forum. He must have been very angry and he was attempting to embarrass me about serving time in prison for felony marijuana possession. But that didn't have the effect he intended and I think he learned from that mistake. We were both hot heads.

People may or may not know that part of his work involved helping rehabilitate felons ( such as myself). He even gave me romantic advice once when I asked for it.

It's sad to me that he may have passed from Covid and been unvaccinated. The doctor who's protocol he was quoted as following lied about his treatment being approved by the FDA. MISINFORMATION KILLS . Please heed the advice of accredited peer reviewed doctors. If you feel this is a political statement I feel as sorry for you as I do for Bruce's family.

May Bruce rest in peace, and may his family and friends have the strength to carry on without him in a manner Bruce would approve of.

BC15NY

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:10 pm

Like Frank, I'm still trying to get my mind wrapped around the fact that Bruce is no longer with us.

I had reached out to him to talk about the new card nominations as we always did, and was concerned when I hadn't heard anything back from him. Then FrankieT added fuel to the fire by asking about Bruce in a mutual league and I was the one that had to pass along the horrible news.

I learned a ton from Bruce, some of it about this game. Not too long ago he sent the email below within one of the several recurring leagues we were in together. I did not relish the idea of having Bruce gunning for me, but took it as an honor to get that kind of respect from him.

The Latin for rest in peace at the end now seems rather unsettling, but it was from our mutual appreciation of our favorite western, "Tombstone". We had shared many of our favorite lines from Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp.

To: All
Date: Wednesday, 9/29/2021 1:46pm

The reason for my

horrible draft was because I decided to compete with Bill who destroyed me in the draft and pretty much had yet another monster draft of his own.

It appears Mr. Somers is currently as good as it gets with lefty bomber teams. Has been for at least a year. Gonna be a long season for me and probably most of the rest of the league. Fortunately he appears generally cursed in the playoffs.

Not sure if I will be successful in my new self-appointed mission, but going forward Bill will be scrutinized as Cristano, Lab and Riggo Drill have in the past.

You're a good man Bill. But there is a reckoning coming!

In pace requiescat.

Rest in peace my friend.

"Somers" Bill

egvrich

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Great story Bill. He was one of a kind.

While not nearly as glamorous, he told me a while back that I was, "becoming a problem for him at 80 million" and that is when he and I started chatting a whole lot more. He often did the same thing to me, if he saw me in a league, he would try to grab guys he knew I liked and built his team around them, hurting my chances in the process. Which just made it fun.

I took it as the ultimate compliment from him as you, deservedly so, should have as well. And he's right, you always kick my ass when we're in the same league. LOL.

dougvantyle

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:41 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:That's too bad. We used to communicate and he did give me life advice as well as STRAT-O-MATIC advice. We were even FACEBOOK FRIENDS for quite a while. ..

I was disappointed that he doxed me and posted personal information about me in this public forum. He must have been very angry and he was attempting to embarrass me about serving time in prison for felony marijuana possession. But that didn't have the effect he intended and I think he learned from that mistake. We were both hot heads.

People may or may not know that part of his work involved helping rehabilitate felons ( such as myself). He even gave me romantic advice once when I asked for it.

It's sad to me that he may have passed from Covid and been unvaccinated. The doctor who's protocol he was quoted as following lied about his treatment being approved by the FDA. MISINFORMATION KILLS . Please heed the advice of accredited peer reviewed doctors. If you feel this is a political statement I feel as sorry for you as I do for Bruce's family.

May Bruce rest in peace, and may his family and friends have the strength to carry on without him in a manner Bruce would approve of.

Much of this post is inappropriate and unnecessary... dvt

BC15NY

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 5:54 pm

I say the less attention we bring to that particular post the better. Let's not let a topic honoring Bruce turn into something else altogether.

PJ Axelsson

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:09 pm

Agree. Show some tact and respect.

PJ Axelsson

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:11 pm

I recall beating Bruce once in a finals. Still not quite sure how...or if it really even happened...but I'm gonna dig up that old team and check.

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:56 pm

Agreed Bill, PJ, DVT.
Bury.

Loved reading that, Bill.

Some more humanizing stuff from the man, who was nothing if not passionate, about everything. A simple note to him when we put my beloved Golden Retriever down and I decided no more dogs for me. Many of you may know, he was a Golden aficionado too. I know he was a clinical psych, but it is unusual for someone to have such a keen objective intellect along with the highly tuned emotional IQ.

Re: Sandie

To: Me
Date: Thursday, 7/15/2021 10:15pm

I did notice the uncharacteristic typos in your posts tonight.

So sorry for your loss Frank.

But I know that Sandie has simply moved from the living room to the bedroom and that she is as much with you now as ever only without the suffering. Intend before you go to sleep that your dreams bring her to you -and they will. Offer her you gratitude for all that she gave to you - that will nourish her.

I am sure that she had a most fulfilling life and that her spirit is thrilled beyond measure with the experience you co-created with her. Hard for me to imagine a better father than you.

The pain never really goes away, I am still moved to tears by just thinking about any of my dogs. Our first dog, Athena, was a rescue pitbull who got hit by a car after running away twice about a year after we got her from the North Shore Animal league in 1986. I wailed all through a sleepless night when I learned of her fate.

You alone know best how to manage your loss. For me though, life without a constant corporeal canine companion is simply unthinkable.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats