• Author

dougvantyle

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:48 am

Perfect!

dougvantyle

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 11:12 am

Bruce is a member in one of my private trophy leagues. We have decided to honor his memory by creating The Last Druid Memorial Cup for our new season. Thank you. dvt

The Biomechanical Man

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm

Rest in peace, Bruce.

Main Line Expos

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Great respect for the incredibly skilled and kind Bruce. We will miss you.

chaberlal

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 9:42 pm

FANTASTIC...

I'm so very happy that The Wrong Stuff will be part of this year's Barnstormers Finals...

It's a way to keep Bruce with us a little longer...

Nevdully is a most excellent choice and I'm elated that he accepted...

We'll be rooting hard for The Wrong Stuff...

I'm getting my pom-poms and leggings ready...

GO WRONG STUFF GO...

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:08 am

I'm still not ok with losing Bruce's presence here.

He was so genuine. When Bruce didn't hear from me for a couple days, or if more than 24 hrs went by if I didn't respond to something he sent, he'd get concerned for my well being.

Sadly, even though we were in contact typically every couple days, it took me from Jan 7th to Jan 14th--a damn week--to wonder if Bruce was ok. I was in the middle of a move, but still. He was fiercely loyal to his friends, acquaintances and anyone he chose to pay mind to. So I asked Bill Somers, who also knew Bruce well and since we were in a league together--and he was also concerned and found the news.

Gosh--Petrosian and I were at odds a few years after I started here around 2003. Head butted constantly with Petrosian.
But I think it was a common theme for Bruce--he meets people head on, with brusque honesty and no subtlety. It can turn sour. But it usually would get cultivated into something of a friendship after that. I know many can relate to that.

I recall telling him once years ago that the part of SOM I grew to dislike was the interactions on the boards. It seemed too much like the narrative of social media to me. He proclaimed that the interactions and the aspect of relationships was one of the most valued parts of this game community for him. And by golly--he could peg the proclivities of any of us. We may not all admit it to him--but holy crap he was spot on with me at least. Tendencies, shortcomings, strengths--pretty amazing intellect and emotionally reflective person.
Brusque.
Shoulda been his name. Brew-skee.

Miss you buddy. And so does a whole army of gentlemen around here.

CTStough

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:11 am

This is horrible news. Just horrible.

Astonishing that a man I never met in person could have such a large impact on my life.

I started playing ATG at the end of ATGII, was not very good, but talked shit anyhow, which was how me and Bruce connected. Bruce could be a straight up asshole, but he was always nice to me. We'd talk smack, but we always kept it within bounds. LOL. He whined so much about SOM that I thought I'd projectile vomit if I heard another complaint. But he also had great ideas and in the end, thats all I really cared about, which I think he respected in me. Which I guess is what I'm trying to say. No matter his statements, I always had the feeling of being respected by Bruce. That is a hard thing to do on the internet. Lord knows that respect was returned to him by me and I am deeply saddened by the loss of this man.

The guy was an absolute legend at playing this game. He was super encouraging to me as a player, which I greatly appreciated. I remember in ATGIII when I finally started to get good, yet still wasn't winning many championships. I think I was complaining about not winning rings on the boards and he stated that he was also amazed that I hadn't won more. At the time, I was astonished that he would have noticed and it told me a lot about him. That he studied the competition and that he thought enough of my play to pay attention, and that he really hated to lose. But that comment from him gave me a huge confidence boost early in my playing days. I really looked up to the guy in the context of playing this game. He was so good. He also played an insane number of teams. I mean- sweet Jesus he was like a junkie at this game with the number of teams he would have. LOL. But I loved watching him make a team out of nothing and having it work, it was a thing of beauty. I also loved not being in a division with him. Because that sucked. I also loved tormenting him with the fact that I had no clue how to read the cards, which I was more than happy to hold over his head when I'd beat him.

I really liked talking to him about politics, culture and history and psychology. My first degree was in Psych so we had some common ground in many areas. We agreed on many things and respectfully disagreed on some. Bruce was very well read and I loved swapping reading suggestions with him.

I don't really know what to say, words are always so useless in times like these. But I'm very sorry he is gone. Very very sorry.

FrankieT

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 am

mighty moose wrote:I am very pleased to announce that a board member has suggested and now has approval of the board that * NEVDULLY * will honor his friend Bruce by playing his Barnstormers Finals team.

CTSTough--great post.

And this is a great decision the Board made. Cannot think of a more fitting way for this most unfortunate occurrence to be handled.

CTStough

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:25 am

FrankieT wrote:CTSTough--great post.
Thanks Frankie

Ptolemy323

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:20 am

Hi All,

I did not personally know Bruce / Druid, but I did fully recognize the challenge before me in any league in which we both appeared. I appreciate all of the posts - I feel I've gotten to know him a bit better.

Sincerely,

Brad C.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats