We have lost "The Last Druid"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Hack Wilson

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm

Thank you, Chabriel, those are very kind and generous words, but those would be awfully big shoes to fill -- holy cow, no one could do the Last Druid justice -- and I think he'd be looking down at us and strike us with a bolt of lightening for screwing his teams up, lol! It just doesn't feel right to assume his identity owning a team in Barnstormers. He was all too unique and talented.

I think it's better to let Mighty Moose invite the "next up" owner who missed the playoffs, but I'll leave it up to Moose.

And yes, we should consider more memorial leagues. Perhaps a one-time re-titling for next year's Barnstormers as "Bruce Steffek's Barnstormers Memorial Tournament."

chaberlal

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:11 pm

I disagree Hack... the next up owner who didn't already qualify already got his chance in the semi-finals...

I was very recently with Bruce and you in that league I was talking about in my previous reply... most certainly one of Bruce's last Titles...

I could see and feel the true friendship and respect and complicity between both of you guys...

Bruce's Wrong Stuff MUST be in this year's Barnstormers Finals...

And there is no one better than you to guide it to the ULTIMATE VICTORY...

mighty moose

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:15 pm

If I might interject, the replacement for Bruce in the Finals is being debated and voted on by the Barnstormers Board - please move this discussion to the Barnstormers Forum. This thread should stay on topic of memorializing the Great One.

tkl33

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:36 pm

So very sad! RIP my friend and competitor Bruce!

Always told me that I could be so much better if I didn't do crazy, stupid theme teams so much :lol:

I love the idea of doing a league in his name and would definately want to be a part of it.

However, I do have another idea. If you were around in the early days, you will remember B.o.b.b.y...

He held a Good Peoples Tourney...much like Barnstormers. B.o.b.b.y...(Robert Moretti) donated $10,000 to the charity of the winners choice. I was lucky enough to win that tournament and he donated it to Riley Children's Hospital. I read where memorials could be sent in Bruce's name to a charity of their choice. I suggest we do the same thing here. Hold a tournament in Bruce's name and see if someone who has SOM's ear (MOOSE???) could donate some of the money from the tournament to a charity in Bruce's name.

My last league i played against him... I had 3rd best record and didn't make playoffs. All 3 best records in same division. He was the only team I didn't have a winning record against...guess who won the league! :D

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/headtohead/457311

Well done my friend! We shall battle again!

Tim

JohnnyBlazers

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 pm

So sorry to hear that. To say he will be missed by the Strat community is an understatement. His colorful posts and insightful commentary enhanced the game for all. May he Rest in Peace

modmark46

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 10:12 pm

I never get on the boards anymore, but just found out about his passing via a league message in a league I still play in. Very sad, and shocking news. I have played since way back in the days of ATG 1, and Bruce had to have been the greatest player our on line community has seen (along with Michael/Nevdully). RIP, The Last Druid.

Musial6

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 6:11 am

Very sad and very shocking. Sympathy to his family and friends.
What I always found intriguing - did he name all his teams "The Wrong Stuff?"
How did he differentiate them from league to league? Always thought that would be confusing.
Apparently not to his sharp mind though.
RIP Druid.

Bunze0

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 6:59 am

I also find myself schocked by this sad terrible news. He was always kind to me in our discussions even to the point of telling me nice team build but next time use so and so instead of whatcha ma call it. I enjoyed when were were in the same league. Rest in peace bruce

Goreds54

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am

Just found out about this news. So sad to hear this. Bruce was such a competitor but he was always willing to help others with his knowledge of this game. We went head to head in so many leagues and his teams usually came out on top. RIP friend

mykeedee

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 am

I did not play in too many leagues with Bruce, but he was in my very first in ATG IV. One of my later meetings with him, he made a suggestion, I took it and won the championship. Not too many guys would give advice on how to beat them in a league. It was always interesting to read his posts, so well written and thought provoking. He will always be a presence that is missed here. RIP Bruce.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats