my first 50 teams

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

djmacb

Re: my first 50 teams

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 pm

austinmdavidson wrote: I think having won this much means I'm the boss of all of you now?

Very impressive. To be the boss you have to win Barnstormers twice and change your username between championships

FrankieT

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:45 pm

djmacb wrote:
austinmdavidson wrote: I think having won this much means I'm the boss of all of you now?

Very impressive. To be the boss you have to win Barnstormers twice and change your username between championships

djmacb--indeed.

Hack Wilson

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 pm

Impressive you're winning this much -- but, perhaps you're taking way too much pride -- arrogance -- in yourself. Arrogance is not something anyone wants to cultivate. It’s seen as a negative habit or mindset in most philosophical traditions.

MaxPower

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:41 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Impressive you're winning this much -- but, perhaps you're taking way too much pride -- arrogance -- in yourself. Arrogance is not something anyone wants to cultivate. It’s seen as a negative habit or mindset in most philosophical traditions.

Perhaps! I can assure you there are lots of things I'm just stunningly bad at though. So I guess I feel like I should mine what satisfaction I can from the things I'm good at.

freeman

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 am

I don't mind bragging as long as it is warranted (and clearly it is warranted here).) What I mind is when someone treats another person contemptuously or disdainfully because of their success. Austin doesn't get on my nerves because I don't see him doing that.

tmfw30

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:26 am

well done, austin. the enfant terrible of stratomatic has struck! i don't even think you're a veteran player disguising himself as a newbie. were that the case, your tradecraft here would be so superb as to be a tragic waste to the world at large. and those numbers are stupefying.

LeGrandeOrange

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm

Any idea who MaxPower is?

MaxPower

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 5:40 pm

LeGrandeOrange wrote:Any idea who MaxPower is?

I am become MaxPower. I don't recall creating the austinmdavidson account but I don't tend to use my full name in public online, so I asked to change it. Max Power is the name I've been using for my manager, so there's some continuity there. You guys are welcome to call me Max or Austin though, since everyone here seems to know each other's first names anyway.

13Baseballs

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 pm

Max or Austin,

Please share some of your thoughts or advice why you are having such a great overall record. I sure could use all the help I can get... my teams usually suck...

13Baseballs

MaxPower

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 5:46 am

13Baseballs wrote:Max or Austin,

Please share some of your thoughts or advice why you are having such a great overall record. I sure could use all the help I can get... my teams usually suck...

13Baseballs

I take a systematic approach to determining what each card is worth in a given league, then maximize surplus value by targeting the cards that are worth the most relative to their cost. It's all in here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=639204

As far as general advice beyond "take a systematic approach"...you've probably heard most of it before. Don't spend too much on your bench or bullpen, don't drop players in-season...ummmm...yeah sorry I'm actually pretty bad at dispensing that kind of pithy wisdom. I feel like players who don't take a systematic approach probably end up creating lots of little rules to follow, like "don't have a catcher with a worse arm than +x" or "don't have a second baseman with worse defense than x" or "don't use anyone with an injury rating higher than x." But I love that other players are approaching the game that way because value comes in all shapes and sizes and those rules are made to be broken, so they end up leaving value on the table for me to scoop up because the cards can't get through these artificial filters they've created. So maybe that's why I don't have a lot of little rules to share, because I actively avoid making them in the first place.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats