We have lost "The Last Druid"

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BC15NY

We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 8:54 pm

Greetings all.
I hope I'm wrong about this, but I fear I am not.
I haven't heard from Bruce (TLD) lately and started poking around and found this online.

Bruce Duane Steffek, 65 of East Greenbush, passed away Friday, January 14, 2022, at home in East Greenbush. Bruce was born February 22, 1956, in Bay Shore, N.Y., the son of Edwin T. and Beverly A. (Westby) Steffek. He was a supervisor for Rensselaer County CPS. Survivors include his wife, Jean-Marie Steffek; his daughter, Susan Marie Steffek; a sister, Karen (Dennis) Jakubowski; and a brother, Kurt (Felicia) Steffek. Friends may call from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. on Thursday, at the Wm. J. Rockefeller Funeral Home Inc., 165 Columbia Tpk in Rensselaer, with a funeral service following at 6 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made in Bruce's name to a charity of the donor's choice.
Last edited by mighty moose on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Importance

djmacb

Re: The Last Druid

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 pm

Oh wow - I fear you are correct. Last Druid's last post was Jan. 10.

As with many, Bruce provided advice for me on the team that won my first ring back in ATG 2. If true, this is very sad, and a severe blow to the community.

FrankieT

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:23 pm

Thanks Bill.
Rest peacefully Bruce.

For those so inclined:
https://wjrockefeller.com/tribute/details/5513/Bruce-Steffek/obituary.html

Very sad. Hadn't heard from him since Jan 7th.

drfreeze49

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 pm

Rest In Peace Petrosian

STEVE F

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:03 pm

Rest in peace Bruce, you will be missed.

mighty moose

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 pm

I am so sad today to have just learned about this. Bruce and I had our battles over the years but we have been on good terms for quite a while now. I'm just devastated. :cry:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ti ... d=32256557

nomadbrad

Re: We have lost "The Last Druid"

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 pm

Bruce you were one of a kind and KING of the forest. I will really miss you.

egvrich

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 pm

I'm beyond stunned.

Reading the obit, it was obviously him as they talked at great length about his love of chess and his profession.

For so many years, I considered Petrosian/Bruce/The Last Druid a nemesis. The guy you loved to beat.

But really it was just jealousy on my part for his incredible success at this game we all play.

But, over the past few years I'd like to think that we became friends as well as friendly rivals. And that started a while back when he sent me a message in a league telling me that I was becoming a thorn in his side in 80 mill leagues. From that point on we chatted regularly, even making predictions and an occasional credits bet on the results of a playoff series. And we constantly tried to steal players from each other because if we saw the other guy in a league, you knew who his favorite players were and tried to draft them ahead of the other guy.

Sorry, I'm just rambling now, largely because I'm probably in a bit of shock.

The game has lost a true giant, maybe even THE biggest giant of them all. I will miss Bruce and his rapier wit.

Rest in Peace my friend.

nevdully's

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm

R.I.P. My Dear Friend Bruce
Forgive me if this is scattered, I'm quite shook ...

I first encountered Bruce once he began playing back in ATG II. (almost 20 years ago?) He saw me as #1 here, Frank Bailey #2 and Bruce quickly became #3 while admittedly setting his sights on taking me down. He was pompous, arrogant and brutally honest as Petrosian, and we butted heads from day one. I'd tell him "oh Bruce you might not be #1 but to me you'll always be #2" He took the dig as intended :mrgreen: . He made plenty of enemies his first couple of years here. Even threatened to show up at my house once...Part of his reason to changing his name to Mex344 (I bet not many of you knew he briefly played under that name) was to give himself a fresh start with much of the community. He ofc eventually settled on the Last Druid. Through intense battles and plenty of colorful language we came to respect each other. The respect opened a new type of dialogue and from that we then we became true and good friends for many years...Man I was over my head with Bruce, he was brilliant, but patient with me, and we could, and did, talk about everything, even though I'm normally quiet and private here ...I've only got about 6 friends here and Bruce was one of them...and at some point a few years back if anyone asked, I'd tell them Bruce became #1...Bruce was the best...With deep sadness I mourn his passing...In my mind and my heart Bruce will always be #1

Salty

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Very sad-
He was fantastic to talk with about this game and really some other things too- even though we didn't always agree-
always interesting!
He was always very clear in his thoughts and I always admired his ability to be so logical in expressing them.
His presence here will be missed for certain-
as we say 'may his memory be a blessing'
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats