my first 50 teams

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MaxPower

my first 50 teams

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 6:29 am

Completed my 50th team last night and took the occasion to do some analysis and relive past glories

Average wins: 93
Average run differential: +160
Lowest run differential: +28, in my first $200 league
Highest run differential: +387, in my Barnstormers $200 league (draft of a lifetime)
10 teams above +200
3 teams above +300 (plus a +295)
10 rings out of 25 finals (7-9 in game 7s)
42 postseasons
Of the 8 non-playoff teams, 4 lost the wild card on tiebreakers, one (my first team) finished a game back
Caps: 8 $60, 10 $80, 13 $100, 7 $140, 12 $200
Parks, by Barnstormers grouping: 6 extreme pitching, 5 moderate pitching, 1 neutral, 10 moderate hitting, 4 extreme hitting, 17 lefty, 7 righty
Best teams: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1653179 the aforementioned Barnstormers Event 6 team (the secret at $200 is to draft all the best players) and https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1637271. Both were swept in the finals lol

Altogether a pretty fun 15 months. I think having won this much means I'm the boss of all of you now? Pretty sure someone told me that's how it works. Anyway I promise to be a benevolent ruler.

Questions, concerns? Expressions of admiration, loyalty, skepticism, contempt? Simps, outbursts, lamentations? Deposit them all in the replies. And don't forget, literally everything you need to win this consistently is located in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=639204

p.s. WAR is real

STEVE F

Re: my first 50 teams

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm

VERY impressive! I've been noticing your teams for awhile now. Just 2 days ago, I told my friend Eric O that you would win the new league you're in together. Now I know why/how :)

chaberlal

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 4:09 pm

you have to admit, despite your incredible stats... that HAL loves you... lol...

114 HRs with Bonds in Barnstormers # 6 is mindboggling... despite Polo Grounds...

:shock: :lol: :shock:

MaxPower

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:14 pm

STEVE F wrote:VERY impressive! I've been noticing your teams for awhile now. Just 2 days ago, I told my friend Eric O that you would win the new league you're in together. Now I know why/how :)

Thanks Steve!
chaberlal wrote:you have to admit, despite your incredible stats... that HAL loves you... lol...

114 HRs with Bonds in Barnstormers # 6 is mindboggling... despite Polo Grounds...

:shock: :lol: :shock:

I dunno, if HAL loved me so much wouldn't I have won more than 10 out of 25 finals? But yeah that Bonds season was a ton of fun, and amazing for $200. Has to be the most impressive individual season by any of my players.

Hamilton17

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Congrats, Austin. Quite the formidable opponent you are proving to be. I just finished up season 85; 25 playoffs; 13 championships. Perhaps HAL loves me more than you, I contributed more to his profit margin in the past 18 months or so. :) lol

You and I are coming down to the wire in that Black Friday league. I thought that I would be able to hold you off, but I think you're going to get into the playoffs as the 1 seed. Good luck! Always fun to compete with you.

~Joseph

Radagast Brown

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 pm

That's very impressive.

MaxPower

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 1:53 am

Thanks RB and Joseph! Joseph, that Black Friday league is coming down to the wire for sure, it's been a great race. Good luck to you as well!

freeman

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 2:41 pm

You mentioned data scraping before to see successful players/teams at different caps. How important has that been or have you moved on from that?

MaxPower

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 5:02 pm

freeman wrote:You mentioned data scraping before to see successful players/teams at different caps. How important has that been or have you moved on from that?

Good question. I do have a database of 500 ATG9 leagues and stats, but I actually haven't used that data to analyze individual teams or players. One fundamental thing I used it for was to establish the run environment at the different caps and the effect that ballpark factors have on that environment. So for example, the league I have pulled up now is $140 with a DH, an environment in which the average team scores about 5.9 runs a game. But my team is playing in RFK, which I project to reduce offense by half a run per game compared to the average. So I set my baseline run environment at 5.4 r/g for that particular league. I'm then able to use that figure to determine how to value each offensive event like singles, doubles, etc, which fluctuate a bit depending on the run environment (these event values are called linear weights). I also use the Pythagenpat method of converting runs to wins, which requires knowing the average r/g as a baseline to start from. But honestly there are simpler ways to do these things that are only marginally less accurate. Someone could just take the actual linear weights from MLB, and instead of using Pythagenpat just divide runs by 10 to get wins, and that'd get you close enough. So I wouldn't say the database is super important as far as these functions go, it's more that I had it sitting there so I was able to use it to derive the answers to these questions I had about run environment and parks.

The main reason I had it sitting there in the first place though was to see the popularity of players at each cap - not to give me an idea of who to draft, but to give me an idea of how to rank the players on my draft card. But my evaluation of the cards is just based on Diamond Dope without reference to any of the scraping data. So, how important is this function of the database in assisting my draft rankings? Again I would say not very. It's almost useless at high caps, because all it tells me is that all the players I want are drafted in 100% of high cap leagues. At low caps it's not very important because there are just limitless options for how to build a team. I can miss on every single player on my card and their replacements will only be marginally worse. I'd say $140 is the sweet spot where maybe the database is the most useful in ranking a draft card - you don't have limitless options but you're also not only targeting the super-elite guys. But beyond that it's mostly an interesting crutch to use in filling out my cards, I doubt it nets me too many extra wins in the end. Especially since veteran players have basically the same knowledge of card popularity just through their experience, so whatever advantage I'm gaining from the database is really only relative to new players (which was me a year ago, which is why I wanted it :) ). But overall, I would say accurate card evaluation is orders of magnitude more important than any insights about card popularity the database has given me.

Edit: the other important thing the scraping did for me at the beginning was getting me the important card data that wasn't part of the Diamond Dope pool data: GIDP chances. Those really need to be added to the DD pool, along with N/W power ratings, which I added manually.
Last edited by MaxPower on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeGrandeOrange

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm

Wow!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats