SO LONG BUSTER !!!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

barterer2002

Re: SO LONG BUSTER !!!

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 8:28 am

mburatti76 wrote:
If Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame, Buster Posey is in all day long. A very good hitter and excellent defender at a premium position. In a true Hall of Fame, he probably is borderline due to a somewhat short career and not enough time to rack up eye popping counting stats. But it has become the Hall of Good Players and he certainly meets that criteria.

This is always a horrible argument. A better me for Posey is that every decade tends to have 2 catchers in the Hall of Fame. It’s an underrated position because baseball fans and writers tend to favor offense instead of some of the catching skills. So pretty much two catchers per decade become hall of famers. There is a bump in the thirties when offense was everywhere and another bump in the 70s/80s which was probably the golden age of catchers (Benchmark Fisk, Simmons, Carter) but in general. Two catchers per decade. So who are we looking at during the 2010s I submit its most likely Molina and Posey.

Radagast Brown

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 3:42 pm

Who thinks Buster Posey and Joe Mauer belong in the Hall of Fame? They were two of the best ever at their positions.

MaxPower

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Yup Mauer and Posey are both deserving. I feel like Mauer would have struggled to get in but the writers want to put Posey in so will have to let in Mauer as well. Sort of like how Edgar had to wait ten years until the writers realized they wanted to put Ortiz in and Edgar was the clearly superior player.

Radagast Brown

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 10:55 pm

austinmdavidson wrote:Yup Mauer and Posey are both deserving. I feel like Mauer would have struggled to get in but the writers want to put Posey in so will have to let in Mauer as well. Sort of like how Edgar had to wait ten years until the writers realized they wanted to put Ortiz in and Edgar was the clearly superior player.

Interesting analysis.. Why is Joe Mauer less popular? Is it because Posey is just a really great guy, or is Mauer a jerk? Or is it just because Mauer is in a smaller market?

I believe Mauer won about three batting titles, while playing catcher full time.

What you say about Ortiz and Edgar Martinez is interesting. I think both those guys deserved it, but especially Edgar Martinez, because he wasn't ALWAYS a DH, he even use to steal a few bases. Plus the guy could obviously hit like crazy.

MaxPower

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 pm

Posey's got the 3 rings and Mauer was in a smaller market. I just don't recall much if any HOF buzz when Mauer retired.

Edgar was legitimately one of the greatest hitters of all time. Ortiz is much more of a borderline candidate statistically but was a much more popular and well-known player, and I'm fine with the argument that his incredible postseason resume puts him over the hump. But he'll get inducted in his first or second year of eligibility, making Edgar's ten-year wait even more ridiculous.

Radagast Brown

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 4:58 pm

Good points all around. Mauer did win THREE batting titles as a catcher. He was an all-star like 6 times and a Gold Glover maybe three times. He had over 2000 hits, and a lifetime batting average over .300. Both Posey and Mauer had similar lifetime OPS numbers in the mid .800s.

chaberlal

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 5:17 pm

If the "Kid" Gary Carter is in... so should be Joe Mauer... and why not Buster...

old hippy

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 6:47 pm

chaberlal wrote:If the "Kid" Gary Carter is in... so should be Joe Mauer... and why not Buster...

Why is their and "if" associated with a catcher in the HOF who has the following qualifications:

11 All Star games
2nd in Rookie of the Year voting
5 Silver Slugger awards
3 Gold Gloves
A WS championship
4 top six finishes in the MVP voting

Any catcher with the above accomplishments should be in the HOF with no "if" associated.

Mauer is deserving, but his similar accomplishments to Carter are:

6 All Star games
5 Silver Slugger awards
3 Gold Gloves
3 top six finishes in the MVP voting, including one first place finish

Hack Wilson

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm

I'd vote for Mauer, like with Posey, I'm more a high peak period than cumulative years HOF type, especially for a position like catcher. After all, ol' Hack got in on his high peak period. :) :D

chaberlal

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Hey old hippy... I certainly ain't questionning that the Kid's place in the HOF is more than rightfully deserved...

I am from Quebec City and have been a diehard Expos fan from the first day in 1969 to the last in 2004...

As a matter of fact Gary played his AA ball in 1973 with the Carnivals here in Quebec City alonside Steve Rogers...

He has always been a favorite of mine...

I just wanted to say that Joe Mauer and maybe in a bit lesser fashion Buster Posey were as deserving candidates as Gary was...
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats