I miss the good 'ole days when...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nevdully's

Re: I miss the good 'ole days when...

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:39 pm

Because this game is played almost entirely by *white men of a certain age* it should surprise no one that we've got our share of racists here. Sickening, but not surprising.

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, evil people are everywhere, and come in all shapes, colors, sizes, and backgrounds.
Always have; always will.
I don't know people's backgrounds here and not into broad brushes else this conversation wouldn't even exist, but nev's guess is likely close to the truth.

Still, that same community won't identify with such stupidity, so that says something too.
Adding to the stupidity, most people here also seem to have better than average educations and civility, with some exceptions of course.

A team name like that is a strangely uncivil thing to do in this crowd--it clearly won't be earning support from the community in any way so it is not just an evil and provocative point of view--it is also just plain moronic.

nevdully's

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 8:56 pm

FrankieT wrote:Unfortunately, evil people are everywhere, and come in all shapes, colors, sizes, and backgrounds.
Always have; always will.
I don't know people's backgrounds here and not into broad brushes else this conversation wouldn't even exist, but nev's guess is likely close to the truth.

Still, that same community won't identify with such stupidity, so that says something too.
Adding to the stupidity, most people here also seem to have better than average educations and civility, with some exceptions of course.

A team name like that is a strangely uncivil thing to do in this crowd--it clearly won't be earning support from the community in any way so it is not just an evil and provocative point of view--it is also just plain moronic.

All of what he said. :)

FrankieT

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:25 pm

djmacb wrote:
I'm not forcing anyone to do what I say, but I'll tell you one thing. I am filing a complaint to Strat about this: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1633425.

Ol' Rebel Mike's managerial record is legendary. His .484 winning percentage, while bad, is not notably poor, but 2 championships out of 154 teams has got to be a record for sustained futility. I'm sure the SOM Bots are way more successful than this. Of course, they have a big advantage that they don't discriminate against all of the non-whites in the player set.

Just noted his manager name is Bocephus, maybe a nod to Hank Williams Jr. I am certain HWJ would not appreciate the linkage at all. The whole thing is bizarre.

egvrich

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 am

honestiago wrote:
Radagast Brown wrote:amen....

Also, how would you fix baseball making a decision based on the free market?.... Last D? Would you force MLB to do what you say?

I'm not forcing anyone to do what I say, but I'll tell you one thing. I am filing a complaint to Strat about this: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1633425.

This is not the first time this guy has made it clear that HIS team is made up of white guys. I probably would've ignored this yahoo, but he put WHITE GUYS in all caps.

I immediately changed my draft card. Picked up Jackie Robinson. Then changed my team name to the Rainbow Coalition. I hope we stomp his ass.

That guy has been doing it for years. I've complained about it before but no one seemed to care. Any time he's in a league with me I have a burning desire to beat his ass. Clearly a racist, but that team name is taking it to a new level even for him.

The team should be taken over by strat and renamed at the very least.

MaxPower

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 pm

FrankieT wrote:Just noted his manager name is Bocephus, maybe a nod to Hank Williams Jr. I am certain HWJ would not appreciate the linkage at all. The whole thing is bizarre.

Hmmm, I am not quite as certain that a man who called Obama a Muslim and compared him to Hitler would be all that troubled by this association.
egvrich wrote:That guy has been doing it for years. I've complained about it before but no one seemed to care. Any time he's in a league with me I have a burning desire to beat his ass. Clearly a racist, but that team name is taking it to a new level even for him.

The team should be taken over by strat and renamed at the very least.

I will be very interested to see how Strat responds to the report. To allow openly racist managers to compete would seem to be a terrible decision in terms of the health and quality of the community. Only the very worst cesspools of the internet do not moderate for racism, there is no reason for a small sports gaming site to have such low standards.

Ironic that a thread that started out pleading to keep politics out of the game has become political, but then again naming your all-white team the White Boys is a perfect example of injecting politics into the game so it's definitely relevant. No Politics is like the fundamental rule of any sports site, everyone knows that. Some folks just can't help themselves I guess.

honestiago

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:07 pm

Well, they haven’t responded yet, but it’s only been 2 work days.

Davesodu

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:22 pm

honestiago wrote:Well, they haven’t responded yet, but it’s only been 2 work days.

given their promise of card adds vs. the reality I predict they will respond and force the owner to change the team name on 4/27/2022.

FrankieT

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:59 pm

austinmdavidson wrote:
FrankieT wrote:Just noted his manager name is Bocephus, maybe a nod to Hank Williams Jr. I am certain HWJ would not appreciate the linkage at all. The whole thing is bizarre.

Hmmm, I am not quite as certain that a man who called Obama a Muslim and compared him to Hitler would be all that troubled by this association.

Whatever. I'd say the ridiculous Hitler comparisons have become a bit cliche.

The issue at hand is--this tool created a team name and concept that would cause a reasonable person to consider that he is a racist, in deed and in fact. And we should make it clear there is no tolerance for it.

And for the record, I taught HS math for a year in a high-needs inner city school--and was called much worse. It didn't make those kids or faculty "racist". Made them appear ignorant and emotional. "Calling someone a muslim" is certainly not an indictment of anything sinister on the part of the accused, nor does it imply anything on the part of the accuser except maybe that they are ignorant/wrong or both.

My point--calling everything racist reduces the evil/violent significance of racism and shows a lack of substantive reasoning. I have no idea if HWJ is a racist and it is moot for the issue at hand except that he shouldn't get to sustain the accusation.

honestiago

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 pm

Strat responded. Said will be investigating the matter. Wish I’d kept a running total of every instance this guy pulled this crap. He needs to go.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats