I miss the good 'ole days when...

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: I miss the good 'ole days when...

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:18 pm

Yeah, it would be nice to have those kind of discussions again. As long as people can avoid personal insults, they could be very interesting. A lot of smart people here. But the country has gotten so polarized that it is just hard to keep discussions somewhat civil and they typically degenerate with people getting mad . Too bad.

FrankieT

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 pm

Heh...yep...I never posted there either but it was worth an occasional stroll through some of the banter. It did seem to get out of control sometimes though. SOM had no interest in trying to enforce moderating that kind of environment even shortly after taking over, let alone in today's environment as freeman mentioned.

honestiago

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Judging by some posts, there seems to be a faint desire for animus. Not to worry. There’s plenty of jackassery still out there. A manager in a league I recently finished made not-so-thinly veiled swipes at the hiring of Kim Ng. Made it tacitly clear that he thought this was a diversity hire (because, evidently, you can’t earn anything if you’re a non-white female). I don’t know Kim Ng from a hole in the ground, but the Angels hired her, fair and square. She ought to be allowed the chance to at least try. I felt like that same jackass would probably have complained about Jackie Robinson in ‘47, and wanted to say as much to them, but i demurred. Because it just isn’t worth it. It would be like trying to convert my racist family back in Texas (where I no longer live) to not being ignorant rednecks. Or trying to figure out why the driver of this pickup I recently saw passing through town was flying a Confederate and a U.S. flag at the same time off the back of his pickup. (Dude...what are you trying to say exactly? Do you even know?).

nomadbrad

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 3:59 pm

When I think of those that opposed Jackie Robinson I am NOT upset, but rather, I feel sad for their lack of empathy.

When I think of those that oppose the hiring of Kim Ng I am NOT upset, but rather, I feel sad for their lack of empathy.

Kim has paid her dues working up the ladder in the MLB in multiple organizations and at the MLB office where she has enjoyed multiple successes.

At the same time, we need to be patient with those whom lack understanding at this moment in time. MOST will come around eventually as they witness that Kim Ng's hiring was a solid baseball move by the Marlins.

FrankieT

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Well I'm in a "Kim Ng Appreciation League" and honestly I didn't even know who it was or what the significance was until someone shared it. :) So I am out of touch.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/454130

Not really my thing to worry about motivations since there is no way to know. Good thing is if she performs, she'll be retained. If not, she'll be replaced. Simple as that.

Either way, she gets the job, and heck it could be for being who they thought was the best baseball mind, a good golf game, or a any other number of reasons that I've certainly even experienced with job offers, but I'm missing the part why we would passionately draw a line in the sand for our feelings about things that are unknowable when it doesn't change anything.
Last edited by FrankieT on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

labratory

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm

Someone should invite Kim to play ATG.
Then we'll really find out how much she knows about baseball. haha

I also miss the good 'ole days when you could tell a joke and didn't need to add haha to make sure everyone know you were not being serious.

Radagast Brown

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 12:52 am

honestiago wrote:Judging by some posts, there seems to be a faint desire for animus. Not to worry. There’s plenty of jackassery still out there. A manager in a league I recently finished made not-so-thinly veiled swipes at the hiring of Kim Ng. Made it tacitly clear that he thought this was a diversity hire (because, evidently, you can’t earn anything if you’re a non-white female). I don’t know Kim Ng from a hole in the ground, but the Angels hired her, fair and square. She ought to be allowed the chance to at least try. I felt like that same jackass would probably have complained about Jackie Robinson in ‘47, and wanted to say as much to them, but i demurred. Because it just isn’t worth it. It would be like trying to convert my racist family back in Texas (where I no longer live) to not being ignorant rednecks. Or trying to figure out why the driver of this pickup I recently saw passing through town was flying a Confederate and a U.S. flag at the same time off the back of his pickup. (Dude...what are you trying to say exactly? Do you even know?).

amen....

Also, how would you fix baseball making a decision based on the free market?.... Last D? Would you force MLB to do what you say?

Radagast Brown

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 12:58 am

nomadbrad wrote:When I think of those that opposed Jackie Robinson I am NOT upset, but rather, I feel sad for their lack of empathy.

When I think of those that oppose the hiring of Kim Ng I am NOT upset, but rather, I feel sad for their lack of empathy.

Kim has paid her dues working up the ladder in the MLB in multiple organizations and at the MLB office where she has enjoyed multiple successes.

At the same time, we need to be patient with those whom lack understanding at this moment in time. MOST will come around eventually as they witness that Kim Ng's hiring was a solid baseball move by the Marlins.

When Harry Truman segregated the Armed Forces in 1948, up to 85%-90% of the people were against it. But today, almost everyone would claim they would have been for it.

honestiago

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:07 am

Radagast Brown wrote:amen....

Also, how would you fix baseball making a decision based on the free market?.... Last D? Would you force MLB to do what you say?

I'm not forcing anyone to do what I say, but I'll tell you one thing. I am filing a complaint to Strat about this: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1633425.

This is not the first time this guy has made it clear that HIS team is made up of white guys. I probably would've ignored this yahoo, but he put WHITE GUYS in all caps.

I immediately changed my draft card. Picked up Jackie Robinson. Then changed my team name to the Rainbow Coalition. I hope we stomp his ass.

djmacb

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 11:47 am

I'm not forcing anyone to do what I say, but I'll tell you one thing. I am filing a complaint to Strat about this: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1633425.

Ol' Rebel Mike's managerial record is legendary. His .484 winning percentage, while bad, is not notably poor, but 2 championships out of 154 teams has got to be a record for sustained futility. I'm sure the SOM Bots are way more successful than this. Of course, they have a big advantage that they don't discriminate against all of the non-whites in the player set.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats