Newb questions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Chompsky

Re: Newb questions

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello Folks, Thanks for helping us newbs out. I'm struggling but having fun in my first two leagues. I think a monkey might make better GM and Managing choices than I have so far. There is always next year/leauge...

Two questions for the community. Thanks again for all your support!!!

1) Where/how do you get splits pre 1980. I used Major League Baseball's stats for back to 1980, but prior to that I am in the dark.

2a) I have read some helpful Sporting News forums threads on closing but I am still confused. Regarding 1986, I have Frank WIlliams and Ricky Horton. Both had stellar excellent regular 1986 seasons, but they were set up guys and only had about 5 saves between the two of them. They are getting lit up for me in the sim. I am not overusing them. I do not have them set on slow hook. But I am using them both as closers.

My theory is that since they weren't closers, that they are coming into closing situations already tired from the get go. Similar to using a guy with no C rating as a closer. 1986 is prior to C ratings, but the same thing is at work, right? This is my working theory.

Is this theory correct, or is something else at play?

I'm picking up Jeff Reardon who had a so-so year in relief, but did have 35 saves. I may set him as my closer, and use Williams & Horton for all the other significant roles (set up, tied and late, tied and 9th+, mop-up, and behind and late).

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!!!!

2b) In ATG (post WW - II), the closer rules are turned off??? If this is correct, then any reliever can close without penalty? Or is another formula at work....?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

travelingjack

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Chompsky wrote:Hello Folks, Thanks for helping us newbs out. I'm struggling but having fun in my first two leagues. I think a monkey might make better GM and Managing choices than I have so far. There is always next year/leauge...

Two questions for the community. Thanks again for all your support!!!

1) Where/how do you get splits pre 1980. I used Major League Baseball's stats for back to 1980, but prior to that I am in the dark.

2a) I have read some helpful Sporting News forums threads on closing but I am still confused. Regarding 1986, I have Frank WIlliams and Ricky Horton. Both had stellar excellent regular 1986 seasons, but they were set up guys and only had about 5 saves between the two of them. They are getting lit up for me in the sim. I am not overusing them. I do not have them set on slow hook. But I am using them both as closers.

My theory is that since they weren't closers, that they are coming into closing situations already tired from the get go. Similar to using a guy with no C rating as a closer. 1986 is prior to C ratings, but the same thing is at work, right? This is my working theory.

Is this theory correct, or is something else at play?

I'm picking up Jeff Reardon who had a so-so year in relief, but did have 35 saves. I may set him as my closer, and use Williams & Horton for all the other significant roles (set up, tied and late, tied and 9th+, mop-up, and behind and late).

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!!!!

2b) In ATG (post WW - II), the closer rules are turned off??? If this is correct, then any reliever can close without penalty? Or is another formula at work....?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) http://www.baseball-reference.com/ - click the splits tab which is located above the player's stats

2) I'm not an expert on bullpen stuff but I think your take is correct. A medicore closer will probably do somewhat better than any reliever not rated to close if the closer rule is used.

coyote303

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:01 pm

If you check the play-by-play tab, you can see the F-rating of your pitchers. So, you can see if your relievers are coming in at F0 in closing situations.

Chompsky

PostTue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 pm

I've checked the play by play for over 25 games in my 1986 games. It never says anything but F9 for every pitcher in every game for every play. I can't find an exception to this, including when Williams/Horton come in to closing situations.

I don't know what to make of this. Maybe the F function is disabled or broken for the 1986 year. Or perhaps it is just that no pitcher is getting tired (unlikely, but possible).

If the F function is not disabled or broken, then it suggests there is no closer rule in effect. So I guess my question still remains: Is there a closer rule for the 1986 game which penalizes non-closers used in closer situations?

Regarding the baseball reference--thank you very much! It does the trick for pre-1980 players except for players from the Negro Leagues, where there don't seem to be splits (at least when I looked up Spot Poles). Even with that limitation, I just think it is fantastic that these players are a part of Strat.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx