draft advice ?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

lonchaneyjr

draft advice ?

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

cheers gents

Im a newcomer and getting ready to join first league and participate in 1st draft (against real GMs not bots).....when i tried the free 21 game version, i got (drafted) all the players I wanted, but read somewhere that isn't the case in real draft ?

it's like pre-ranking in fantasy sports then doing an autodraft based on those rankings ?

if so, these are my basic questions:

1. im sure overall strategy will be difficult to cover everything, i'm mostly wishing to know what advice about prioritizing players for the draft.....who should be at top of list, etc ?....and what positions or players, etc can be farther down the list ?....hope im explaining that correctly....say ive got 27-28 guys I want to roster and they fit in the salary cap ($80), im trying to figure out how to get the highest % of the players I want

2) any other tips for drafting, oh and one random question, not the > and not the $ and not the # but what does that round squiggly character kinda like this @ on players cards mean ?

thanks gents

badassba

Re: draft advice ?

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Here's a few ideas.
1. Put players at top of list that are most critical to your team strategy. Strategy Example: Pitching team in a pitching park using quality starters and a quality closer......put your top 4 or 5 starters and your closer in the top 5-10 spots.

2. Learn which fielding spots are the most sought after. Example, typically good players at CF, SS and 2B are very well bid for and they need to be higher up in the list.

3. Regardless of position, if there are sluggers that are key to your 'power strategy team', there is a high chance that others want them and thus they need priority.

With experience you will learn (for that player set), which are the most sought after players and you will learn where your 'bids' need to sit in your draft list.

Best of luck and have fun.

Palmtana

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

Higher priced players most likely have replacements if you miss out on them, so if you have a lower priced player that is important to your squad, place him high when you rank your players.

geekor

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Palmtana wrote:Higher priced players most likely have replacements if you miss out on them, so if you have a lower priced player that is important to your squad, place him high when you rank your players.

sometimes... I also went from Acuna (#1 missed him) to Tatis, which was a huge drop off, and basically a throw away with that hard L leaning card. The replacement you get isn't always great.

mbertolli

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:54 am

The real skill to winning in this game is being able to identify the under-priced cards and getting as many of them as possible. There all replacements for every other player/position & a TON of cards that do not perform up their price tag.

Big Fred Whitfield

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:10 pm

thank u guys,

trying to soak up like spongebob

Palmtana

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:31 pm

mbertolli wrote:The real skill to winning in this game is being able to identify the under-priced cards.....

I read this a lot. But how the heck do you do it! Maybe there is a post out there that explains it. I only play keeper leagues so card value isn't a consideration, but I could see where it would be for individual seasons. Is it a matter of making your own ratings system like joethejet and others do?

joethejet

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:37 pm

Palmtana wrote:
mbertolli wrote:The real skill to winning in this game is being able to identify the under-priced cards.....

I read this a lot. But how the heck do you do it! Maybe there is a post out there that explains it. I only play keeper leagues so card value isn't a consideration, but I could see where it would be for individual seasons. Is it a matter of making your own ratings system like joethejet and others do?

LOL, that's how *I* do it. ;) :lol:

lonchaneyjr

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 1:09 pm

thank all of you who replied and gave advice

my first league I ended up with maybe half the players I wanted to draft, then had a mad scramble trying to fill replacements and manage cash flow

listening to your guys info, I just received a whopping 90%+ of the players I wanted, including my entire SP staff, and 80% of bullpen.....as well as basically every important offensive starter listed....only real blips were low priced roster fillers that my own selections didn't get thru and HAL gave me some other scrub

now, with only a few waiver requests, my team is already as desired....whether or not that constitutes anything meaningful lol, is yet to be seen haha

but thank you, your input helped a lot so far ;- )

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx