DH / Pitcher value of Ohtani 2023?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Biomechanical Man

DH / Pitcher value of Ohtani 2023?

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:42 pm

Shohei Ohtani 2023 card cost $15.80m. Anyone have an idea how much of that value is as a DH and how much as a pitcher? As a hitter, he has no fielding value and he has an injury on a 3.

I'm guessing:
2023 Ohtani (hitter) = $9m
2023 Ohtani (pitcher) = $7m

Your thoughts?

childsmwc

Re: DH / Pitcher value of Ohtani 2023?

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:32 pm

That is actually pretty close, but there are a few unique issues when pricing Ohtani:

1) Stand alone DH $8.8M SP $8.2M
2) Both those prices assume a min roster spot of $.50, so you have to subtract $.50 from any combined card, because Ohtani is filling 1 not 2 roster slots
3) Ohtani's "pitcher card" has an injury risk other pitchers do not have, (i.e. Ohtani getting injured while batting). So a discount for missed starts based the hitters injury rating is also factored in.
4) Pricing is based on optimal park environments, however, Ohtani's best park as a hitter, is not his best park as a pitcher, so an additional adjustment must be made to find his best combined park, which will be lower than the max values above.

So depending on how you assign those adjustment between hitting and pitching prices will get you to your final split. My best guess would be $8.4/$7.4, so your rough estimate is fairly accurate.

apolivka

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 12:24 pm

As per the rules "Any injury that he suffers at the plate will keep him off the mound for the same number of days, and vice versa." has an interesting side effect.

Last night it was Shohei's turn to start, but Ohtani got injured in his 1st at bat in the top of the 1st inning for a 1 game injury. So, he never threw a pitch. But it looks like he can't pitch until his next start. So, basically a one game injury means he cant start for 10 full games. I assume if he would have been injured in his next game for 1, his starts wouldn't have been effected, so this is kind of a bad luck situation, but something to keep in mind while drafting him.

Jeepdriver

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:22 pm

" But it looks like he can't pitch until his next start.'"

So shouldn't he be able to pitch on the "5th" day? A normal 4 days rest between starts, not 10 days.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx