Alert's to Strat Staff as to card mistakes

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

joethejet

Re: Alert's to Strat Staff as to card mistakes

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 11:56 pm

chasenally wrote:Read all the post above and I get what everyone is saying. Here is my bitch. Reese McGuire.

187 total AB. 23 against LHP 1 Double and 1 HR. 1HR total and against LHP in 23 AB. W Power from that side. Small sample size I get it. His slash against LHP was .391/.440/.435. Against LHP in column #1 he has a roll of 2) for an HBP and 12) roll gets him a SINGLE 1-2. Column #2 he has no chances. Column 3 is where it really gets bad. 5) gives him a $ SINGLE. 6) gives him a single 1-8. 8) DOUBLE 1-17 Single 18-20. 9 @ 10 $ SINGLE 11) > SINGLE.

This guy hits .391 against LHP and he has only one roll that is an outright hit. Batting .391 against LHP and he has a 1 in 36 chance of getting an outright hit against LHP on his card. I don't care about sample size here; the card is just not even close. My guess his .391 BAVG against LHP will be around .040 at the end of the season.

Yeah, I know SOM struggles with what to do with guys who get so few PAs against a side and do well there. Looks like they made him much better v RHP than he would have been strictly by his splits. I believe in such situations they look at his lifetime stats (in this case .219/.258/.298) and adjust accordingly.

Not sure what the right answer is. If you gave him a card with his actual stats, you would use him the exact opposite way Boston did last year. Would that be better? I don't really think it is...

tcochran

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 11:59 am

I played the computer game for a few years in leagues with strict usage limits. That's probably the only way to get "realistic" numbers out of the low-AB or low-IP guys.

Unfortunately, that takes some serious time commitment from the league commish to keep the limits applied from day to day.

tcochran

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 12:58 pm

I'm curious why Strat stopped showing the A to E steal ratings on the new spreadsheet. Any ideas?

Stoney18

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 2:27 pm

It would be nice if they used the same name format from the ratings disk to the salary spreadsheet. Would make it so much easier to match up

Knerrpool

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:09 pm

Stoney18 wrote:It would be nice if they used the same name format from the ratings disk to the salary spreadsheet. Would make it so much easier to match up

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is befuddled by this.

Ninersphan

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:13 pm

tcochran wrote:I'm curious why Strat stopped showing the A to E steal ratings on the new spreadsheet. Any ideas?

Just a guess but the letter steal ratings are used in the basic game and 365 uses the super advanced rules which uses the number ratings 2-6,12/- (*19/13) as an example. So there really is no need for the letters. I've never understood why they are on the advanced side of the card frankly.

Ninersphan

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:15 pm

Stoney18 wrote:It would be nice if they used the same name format from the ratings disk to the salary spreadsheet. Would make it so much easier to match up

Hear hear! But without such things would I have taken the time to learn as much of Excel as I have. I basically owe my knowledge of Excel to Strat and running Strat leagues. :D

Knerrpool

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:51 pm

tcochran wrote:I'm curious why Strat stopped showing the A to E steal ratings on the new spreadsheet. Any ideas?

Aren't the steal letters still on there?

Palmtana

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm

They are still on the Ratings Guide download but I think they are talking about the 2023 Excel download you can find here.

ggyuppie

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 4:55 pm

How hard would it be to make it a commissioner option to limit AB's (total and/or splits) and make the cards accurately reflect split chances for small sample sizes (i.e. '23 Reese McGuire as mentioned above)?

For example, when setting up the league, usage could be limited to 100% of actual, it could be 133% of actual, whatever the league wants to do, or not limited for those that want the exploitation of tiny samples to be a thing in their league.

This is exactly what they do on a competing platform with which I'm familiar. There, a player's hitting/pitching abilities get degraded meaningfully (to below replacement value) when they "pumpkin" - which is how they refer to exceeding usage limits.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx