roster configuration

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Big Fred Whitfield

roster configuration

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 9:30 pm

combining a few elements I've observed (and or been taught by advice here)

it seems when constructing/drafting a roster, these things should be strongly considered ?

1. don't roster players who you plan to play NOT in their first position listed....because at some point in the game (usually late when you DON"T want it), HAL will sub that guy into his original position and screw up whatever configuration of players you have wanted/decided/tried to pre-set

2. don't roster players with multiple positions because at some point HAL will play "musical chairs" and volleyball/square dance rotate your players all over the diamond with the inanest configurations a monkey couldn't even conceive (although this seems to be opposite of the real-life flexibility multiple positional players afford)

case in point, Martin Dihigo 4.86M card....he's a great fielder at many positions (2b, RF, CF) and eligible at a few more

but trying to keep him in whatever position you start him is almost impossible....(seemingly), because at some point (your know the drill)

are these observations and conclusions unfounded ?

is there any way around the "musical chairs" HAL seems to play at the end of every game ?

any info/input much appreciated.....

badassba

Re: roster configuration

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 9:48 am

The only settings that allow you to 'limit' hitter rotations (other than injury related lineup backups), relates to hitter preferences. In particular, the pinch hitting and pinch running settings. Ticking all boxes for 'avoid PH vs R' and 'avoid PH vs L' should eliminate rotations that would be triggered by pinch hitting or pinch running. Maybe experiment with this.

Next, I'd look at the 'remove for defensive sub' setting that might also trigger unwanted rotations. Don't tick any boxes and rotations should be minimized. Having said that, when Hal has made defensive replacements that trigger 2 or 3 'domino' moves, I've generally been happy with how he positioned the players.

The last one I think might trigger rotations is the avoid right and avoid left handed pitchers. Don't tick any of these and it should result in less rotations.

I may have misread the meaning of your question, so if this answer isn't helpful I apologize in advance.
good luck going forward.

padrenurgle1

Re: roster configuration

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 11:52 am

I don't remember seeing a recurring case like you describe with Dihigo, unprompted. This could happen if:

(a) you have a player marked to remove for defensive sub, and HAL has to fill that open space with someone, and Dihigo seems like the best option. Check which guys you're asking to take out of the game.
(b) Dihigo is actually listed as one of your defensive replacements. Take him off that list if he is.
(c) A player is removed from the game for a different reason, and Dihigo is so flexible that he gets moved in the open spot (an injury, a pinch hitter or a pinch runner or another defensive replacement leaves an open position).

As said, if you mark him "do not pinch hit for" and "do not pinch run for" and "do not avoid any pitchers" and "do not remove for defensive replacement" and there is no player LISTED to come in to his position as a defensive replacement, your problem should very nearly extinguish.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx