Lineup Question (S)

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BroncoM

Lineup Question (S)

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 9:12 am

I use to play the card game when a kid, Windows season play and now 365. I like to follow my hitters game by game progression in the lineup. Maybe just a personal preference or real life, I use to manage Little League. The question being, how often do you move players up or down in your lineup?

Is it a never change the lineup when you look at rolls in game, after the fact? Or trying to get a player in better chances to hit? Maybe a superstition never to change it after a certain point in the season. It seems I have a few spots in my lineups that are like black holes of 20 and 30 point drops in player averages that improve when moved out. I wonder also, am I just over thinking my situation and just keep moving players in the lineup based on match up.

Rant

Re: Lineup Question (S)

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 1:26 pm

I usually have some type of logic for why I set up a lineup as I do, so I rarely make significant changes game-to-game. If a card is playing particularly well in a league (e.g., all the other parks are hitters parks vs. my pitcher's park), I might toy around with a lineup mid-season.

You have have the ability to create several lineups to face LHP or RHP, and I will at times create beneficial matchups for an extreme pitcher (e.g., swap in a left handed hitter against a 9R balance starter). Once the playoffs hit, I might dabble in specific matchups going by combined pitcher and hitter numbers. You could certainly create game-by-game lineups, but if you're running more than one team that can get onerous.

BroncoM

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 12:32 pm

Thank you

padrenurgle1

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 4:42 pm

I set my lineups at the start of the season based on a careful probability evaluation and personal lineup philosophy. Sometimes, I look at the numbers at midseason, and if someone is totally outperforming or underperforming expectations, I may move them once and then let it ride.

I'll never forget Jason Bartlett's 2009 ss card. He had an outlier season for sure, and it was a good card. But it didn't scream RUN PRODUCER; 14 homers that year. He was hitting well over .300 and was my best hitter at the break. It was odd but I realized he did his numbers in a pitcher's park, and I had a pitcher's park, and he was just a damn good hitter. Didn't need HR. So I put him at cleanup, which felt like madness, and we went on to win the league. He would just rope singles and doubles every time he came up with guys on.

BTW my basic lineup philosophy is:

1. Best low power OBP
2. Best non-clutch hitter, irrespective of power
3. Best remaining hitter with power
4. Best Power
5. Best clutch hitter irrespective of power
6. Best remaining power
7. doesn't matter
8. doesn't matter
9. Best basestealer after the 6th spot

lpezzeme

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 6:05 pm

I use the Baseball Musings Lineup Analysis tool at https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin ... nalysis.py with OBA and Slugging calculated from data in the Baseball Ratings Guide download against LHP and RHP. If my team is going well, I leave the lineup alone; however, if it gets cold, hits a losing streak, or some players performances change drastically, I will revise the lineup. I end up modifying the lineup multiple times during a season. A long time ago, I read that it was better to do this if a player got cold than to drop/add!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx