Cheap power experiment

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

keyzick

Cheap power experiment

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 10:26 am

Now that I’m almost 2/3rd through the season, thought I’d share this experiment roster I compiled for a 2022 team. I wanted to maximize my HR chances (playing in GAP, so 1-19 ballpark chances as well) with cheap platoon players, and use the (hopefully) extra cash to have a stronger than usual pitching staff.

These were the parameters I worked within:
- all offensive players had to be $3M or less
- defensive rating could not be worse than a 3 (ignored e-ratings though)
- as I realized I’d be platooning everywhere, and limited to 17 players on offense, I allowed one position to just be the best offensive option available at $3M or less, regardless of HR chances (this ended up being Eloy Jimenez at DH)

Here’s the team link for those interested: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1750823

Some highlights:

105 games in, and I’m 53-52…15 games out of first, but only two back in the WC race
12 players in double digits for HRs
2nd overall in team HRs (223….leader has 244)
.784 OPS at home, .673 on the road
Leading the league in blown saves at 23 (Montero and Herget 7, Moran 5). Not sure what to make of that, perhaps errors?
+35 run differential

It’s been fun to see guys we’d almost never use (with a few exceptions) battle it out. Hoping the squad can make a strong push down the stretch and grab a Playoff spot!

MochaDog

Re: Cheap power experiment

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing this - it will be interesting to see the end result. So far it looks similar to results I've had using 2022 platoons in high BP HR parks: lots of HRs but low OBP, resulting in low RBI to HR ratios. And based on the fielding percentage, you're probably right about the blown saves, though the smaller sample size can lead to lots of variation in relief results.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx