Shohei Ohtani Breaks the Mold for Strat and Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

The Biomechanical Man

Shohei Ohtani Breaks the Mold for Strat and Fantasy Baseball

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 am

What Shohei Ohtani did this year is like nothing we have ever seen. 46 HRs, 103 runs, 100 RBI, 26 SB AND 9-2 with 3.18 ERA. The fact that Strat-O-Matic and all fantasy baseball platforms can't create a single card to represent his value shows how incomprehensible and unprecedented this is.
Amazing.

Congratulations to the unanimous 2021 AL MVP.

mickeybuhl

Re: Shohei Ohtani Breaks the Mold for Strat and Fantasy Base

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:34 pm

I agree. Ohtani's year was amazing. Does his success make you wonder how many other players in history could have been both star pitchers and hitters? I am sure that Babe Ruth and Shohei Ohtani are not the only two who could have done it. What if Willie Mays had pitched and hit extensively? Roberto Clemente? With their arms, there's no doubt in my mind that they could have at least been dominant two-pitch relievers, and probably could have honed more than 2 pitches and been stud starters.

Hamilton17

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:52 pm

I'm not sure that I have much to add. We all played little league. Those kids who led the league in HR and K's both at age 12, 13, 14 ... and then they get into High School/College and competitive travel ball and they are all told "you have to pick one and only one path" ... it really makes you wonder.

The thing that I enjoy most about Ohtani though is his joy when he plays. Watching his HR Derby this year, which was absolutely the worst performance he had on the season all things considered, he was laughing and having fun and he stayed to watch after he was eliminated. That simple joy of playing is what the sport is supposed to be all about, and it makes me glad to be a fan right now and to be introducing my kids to the game (they range from 4 to 12 years old). Players like Ohtani bring delight back into the sport and we need that for sure.

The Biomechanical Man

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 4:34 pm

Well said, Hamilton.

the splinter

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 10:53 am

The Angels signed Lorenzen last month. He and Ohtani will make an interesting pair in LA.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx