Carlos Correa best defensive SS ever...????

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: Carlos Correa best defensive SS ever...????

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 9:29 am

Looks like they use defensive runs saved. Correa had the most of any shortstop. Hence the 1. He doesnt do that well in UZR.

jflatour99

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 2:47 pm

Yeah but when you you have guys like Bo Bichette who got a range 4, it's kind of weird. Correa is really that much superior defensively compared to Bichette ?

freeman

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 3:49 pm

If youre looking at defensive runs saved only...then yes. Correa saved 8 runs in a 60 game season...so that works out to 21.6 saved runs in a 162 game season. Bichette had -1 runs saved so thats a difference of like 24 runs in a season. UZR and statcast have a different view of how good Correa is, but it would appear that Strat focuses on defensive runs saved.

The Turtle

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Per Fangraphs Dansby Swanson had 10 defensive runs saved and is a 2. And Tim Anderson had more than Lindor, Mondesi or Tatis. But, yes, it seems they do look at DRS above anything else. Reputation after that.

toronto50

PostSun Mar 14, 2021 8:57 pm

RB i think CORREA may have had A GREAT YEAR at SS. Thats it. maybe it will be his outlier?? Rey Ordonez 1999 is a 1e3 and one of my favourite gets in that set.

Roger MARIS had A GREAT YEAR when he hit 61. But no one was saying he was the GREATEST Home Run hitter of all time and that he was greater than RUTH.

I think Darwin BARNEY had a 1e2 one year at second base one year. No one is saying he is the GREATEST 2b of all time because of that.

milleram

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Lindor is an SS1e3 too, and played more games with 0 injury. So NO Correa is not best SS ever, at least in the Strat game.

Radagast Brown

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 pm

Yes, he literally is tied for the best in history.

His range should be a 2 or 3 at best.

If you believe Correa is BETTER in the field than Ozzie Smith or Omar Vizquel or Lindor(even for 60 games), than say it. Don't make lame excuses and try to have it both ways.

And why does his imagined card have the same SS1 e3?

Either say he's the best ever for last season or admit that STRAT-O-MATIC made another easily fixable and completely ridiculous error.

If they can't get something this simple right, WTH?

Radagast Brown

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 3:10 pm

If you have read the book about Strat-O-Matic than you would know they claim to involve real MLB scouts in the defensive range ratings.

You ask 1,10, or 100 MLB scouts to list the top five SS in range in 2020 and see if a single one has Correa in the top five. Then get back to me.....

Otherwise just admit that they made another easily fixable mistake. Or say, I THINK CORREA HAD A BETTER SEASON DEFENSIVELY THAN ANY SS IN MLB HISTORY.

freeman

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Correa was one of three finalists for the gold glove. That is done 75% by votes from managers and coaches. I am gonna bet that is influenced to some extent by what managers and coaches hear from scouts (and of course managers and coaches are not completely clueness about what fielders stand out, anyway). 25% is from sabermetrics. As noted, he led the American league in defensive runs saved. Other metrics he did not do as well.

As far as the eye test, he's a big guy true. So you wonder how much side-to-side dexterity he has or how fast he can come in on a ball. But he has a 95 mph plus arm, so he can play deeper and that allows him to get to more balls. You can disagree with the rating, but it's not like this is completely crazy, either. I dont get the greatest infielder talk, either. Strat defensive ratings dont allow for tiers with the 1 rating, though there are obviously are some. The rating does not indicate he is the best infielder ever. As for error rating he had one error in 56 games. Cant do much about that. Now should they have adjusted the imagined set to reflect his making more errors? Probably but I believe he was a 2e7 last year. I think if Strat had him as a 3 in 2019 they would have been hesitant to jump him up to a 1. But jumping him from a 2 to 1 when he gets nominated for a gold glove and leads the league in defensive runs saved? It's not crazy. Disputable but not crazy. Your main evidence provided so far that it is a terrible ranking is the eye test. You could have said the same about Cal Ripken. A huge arm is a major part of the defensive ability of a shortstop.

Jerlins

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 pm

You can go year by year and find an outlier or two regarding defensive ratings. Franklin Guiterrez was a 1e0 in CF a few years back. No one ever claimed he was the greatest CF ever either. One might argue the range rating, but can't argue the errors. Strat is about "replaying" a season. Last season he made ONE error. What was SOM to do?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx