How Did this Happen??

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Bballexec

How Did this Happen??

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:12 pm

I was looking at the fielding X-Stats and noticed Niko Goodrum had given up two stolen bases? I went to the play by play and saw that Hal had pinch hit for my backup catcher who was subbed to pinch hit for my catcher.

Goodrum than struck out. That was the top of the 11th. In bottom of the 11th Stanton got a single and then Mallex Smith PR for him. He stole 2nd and 3rd which lead to me losing the game. Granted my backup catcher is Kevan Smith and he could have just as easily given up two stolen bases. Just did not expect to see that. Link is below.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/452661/34

paul8210

Re: How Did this Happen??

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 9:55 pm

Interesting. Kevan Smith is so bad against right-handers (7L) that HAL, seeing a chance to win the game in the bottom of the tenth, didn't care no catchers were left on the roster and pinch-hit for him anyway. This is one of those rare examples where selecting the checkbox for Smith: "Do not pinch hit for against right handers" setting might actually make sense, although it's counter-intuitive. Your opponent's unusually large 12-man pitching staff made it possible for him to expose the danger of reliance on over-usage of pinch-hit platooning, although a 10-man pitching staff might have done the same.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx