2020 Range Ratings download is available

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Rant

Re: 2020 Range Ratings download is available

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 pm

I had Axis and Allies, but I always liked the less involved (Risk) when rubber hit road. I remember trying to decipher some of the rules myself, and getting very lost. My parents rarely played, sister had no interest, and my friend-group didn't skew toward board games, so that didn't help.

Ninersphan

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am

Rant wrote:I had Axis and Allies, but I always liked the less involved (Risk) when rubber hit road. I remember trying to decipher some of the rules myself, and getting very lost. My parents rarely played, sister had no interest, and my friend-group didn't skew toward board games, so that didn't help.

Less involved is the problem with Risk, it all comes down to dice rolls. A&A, has much more strategy, and different types of strategy than Risk. Adding a monetary element adds all kinds of levels to how you replace and replenish units and where and when to attack. Sometimes, attacks are made for monetary gain or opponent's loss, as much as for gaining territory.

Bringing this back to Strat, it's also why I prefer the Football board game to the Baseball board game. The play calling aspect and positioning of defensive players, adds a level of strategy not unlike chess and helps lessen the impact of the randomness of the dice. Baseball, on the other hand, seems to come down to dice no mater what you do. It's probably why the online game works great for baseball and is crappy as hell for football.

freeman

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:48 am

I played a little D&D but the DM is key
and we all sucked at it. I think the first wargame I bought was Midway. I also liked Stalingrad. Even played that one at a gaming convention. Got into Diplomacy and played that by mail and at convenions until college started. That was pretty it for except I got back into playing Diplomacy when the internet allowed it by email.

Oh, forgot, really liked Third Reich! With BRPs (we called them burps). Risk was the game you played with non-gamers. Still fun!

Sports games, Paydirt was a lot of fun. Used to have gaming at Chapman College on Saturday. I remember having two teams in the leagues: SF and the Giants. San Francisco had a great offense (it was 81 or 82 cant remember the exact year) and Giants had a pretty good defense and a bad offense
and I would blitz people like crazy. I remember playing SF against the guy who had the Falcons who I believe had Steve Bartkowski who kept rolling 35 on a bomb for a TD! Used to really piss me off! (Obviously since I still remember the die roll).I think SF went 12-4 and NY was 10-6. Giants won 24-14 for the championship against the Jets...

Did not play Strat but some game using PB ratings for the pitcher to determine whether to roll off of the batter or pitcher's card. I liked playing the Brewers ('82 team). We also had a league with that game too at Chapman and I had the Brewers and Mets. Mets were awful but I had great relievers who had the highest 2-9 rating. So (this should sound familiar!) I would pull my starters by the fourth or fifth inning and finish the game with my stud relievers...worked pretty well!

Also was in a Computer baseball simulation league. I forget the one we started with but then we we went to Earl Weaver and then Diamond Mind. But everything slowed down with college and law school (was sort of involved with my brother running the computer baseball team). When internet came got back into diplomacy and on-line chess but those have fizzled out.

And now it's Strat and I have one really good keeper fantasy baseball league and tepid interest in my other fantasy leagues...

oldmansmith2

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Does anybody know that if a player is listed as additional on the ratings preview whether that makes him guaranteed to have at least an unleashed card?

Ninersphan

PostFri Dec 25, 2020 2:15 pm

oldmansmith2 wrote:Does anybody know that if a player is listed as additional on the ratings preview whether that makes him guaranteed to have at least an unleashed card?

No it's not a guarantee. Sometimes they make it to the online game whether unleashed or regular, sometimes they don't there hasn't been any discernable criteria to determine if they are in either online set.

Radagast Brown

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am

What's the best way to play Axis and Allies now a days? I played Strat-O-Matic from age 8 or 9. And I loved Risk, but never learned the more complicated Axis and Allies.

Sorry for going off topic, but I see several of you mentioned Axis and Allies. D&D I played a bit, but yeah seems like a lot of work for the DM .

Ninersphan

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 1:40 pm

Radagast Brown wrote:What's the best way to play Axis and Allies now a days? I played Strat-O-Matic from age 8 or 9. And I loved Risk, but never learned the more complicated Axis and Allies.

Sorry for going off topic, but I see several of you mentioned Axis and Allies. D&D I played a bit, but yeah seems like a lot of work for the DM .

There is a computer version of Axis & Allies available on Steam, check out a game trailer here:

https://www.axisandalliesonline.com/

It is far superior to the earlier CD-rom version even tough technically it is still in beta. The AI is much improved, in fact the computer kicks my ass quite regularly. It also allows for online play in either real time or at your own pace against up to 4 opponents. The tutorial to play is really well done. If you are interested in trying the game I HIGHLY recommend it. Oh and a hint for new players, when playing as Russia- Just buy infantry...nothing but infantry.

To bring this back on topic, I went to purchase a few team sets for the current season to take advantage of the current 10% sale on all things board game. I usually only buy about half a dozen teams, with the Mets being a must buy every year, as they are both my favorite and my nephew's favorite team. He is the only one I play face to face anymore, so it's a must buy. Come to find out they are sold out of Mets for the current season. Now I get that the new cards are almost here and it's late in the cycle for the current set, but damn, they can't break open a few of the complete sets to restock?? So now I'm laying out more scratch for all the teams just to get the Mets.

Damn you Strat.

fredpaii

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 2:46 am

visick wrote:"Injury- Strat frequently "punishes" range for guys who are injured"

Respectfully, you are wrong. What's an injury have to do with their range rating?

Andrelton Simmons played in 30 games and still got the 1.

I can see if Iglesias regressed a little, give him a 2.
But to go from a 1 (6 straight years) to a 3?

Aren't these ratings only preliminary? Would not be surprised at all if Iglesias got at least a 2 for range when the cards come out.

Ninersphan

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 9:53 am

fredpaii wrote:
visick wrote:"Injury- Strat frequently "punishes" range for guys who are injured"

Respectfully, you are wrong. What's an injury have to do with their range rating?

Andrelton Simmons played in 30 games and still got the 1.

I can see if Iglesias regressed a little, give him a 2.
But to go from a 1 (6 straight years) to a 3?

Aren't these ratings only preliminary? Would not be surprised at all if Iglesias got at least a 2 for range when the cards come out.

Yeah they aren't locked in stone, but few changes are ever made.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx