Question on Middle Relief Pitcher Role

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

JGoodrich

Question on Middle Relief Pitcher Role

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 6:00 pm

After my starting pitcher is removed from the game (say middle of the game and it is close) and I have 1 righty and 1 lefty relief pitchers I would like both considered in the middle man role, is it best to not define them in those roles and let Strat-o-matic decide which to use depending on hitter matchup or should I define them as middle man roles.

I have defined the rest of my relievers in specific roles except these two relievers. I was afraid if I assigned say the righty as Middle Man 1st role slot and lefty as Middle Man 2nd role slot then the righty would always be brought in first even if the lefty was the better option against the hitter coming up.

Thoughts? Thanks.

jjii66

Re: Question on Middle Relief Pitcher Role

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:55 pm

[I was afraid if I assigned say the righty as Middle Man 1st role slot and lefty as Middle Man 2nd role slot then the righty would always be brought in first even if the lefty was the better option against the hitter coming up.

This is exactly correct. Hal (the computer manager) will always use the first pitcher you have listed for a particular role, assuming that pitcher is available. When you assign roles, you're taking away Hal's power to make such decisions. (This could be good or bad... some people trust him, some don't.)
So if you're concerned about lefty/righty matchups, and you trust Hal to bring in the best guy for the job, you might want to leave Middle Man blank.

Palmtana

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:18 pm

(jjii66, check your "new messages". Located under Strat-O-Matic at the top left of the screen.)

I agree with jjii66 on your question. Another way to use the Middle Man position is to put your best two relievers in that slot. Also use those same two as Setup. That way your top $ guys will get the most innings. I recently came across this scheme on the boards and it has worked well for me.

ggyuppie

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 11:34 pm

I’ve also tried setting the first middle man to “avoid righties” or lefties as the case may be. This works but then that reliever may not get enough work because Hal takes the direction very seriously.

JGoodrich

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 12:17 am

Thanks all for the feedback ;)

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx