Is this team really this bad???

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Brian_Asher

Is this team really this bad???

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 1:21 am

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1598577

Pick this team apart and give me some feedback.

My ball park is Chase. The other parks in division are Kauffman, Petco & Citizens.

I had 2 games that gave up 20 & 23 runs. so not counting them 2 games my ERA is 4.58

my line up
C Stallings v-L & Narvaez v-R
1B- Zimmerman & Castro
2B- Wong DEF-1
3B- Edman DEF-2
SS- Lindor DEF-1
LF- Eaton DEF-2
CF- Pillar DEF-1
RF- Bellinger DEF-1
DH- Ohtani with Desmond and Cabrera to cover if he goes down

Defense should not be a problem and I thought would help out my pitching staff.

but I can only average 3 runs a game.

This really makes it frustrating when you thought you had a decent team but when you start 5-16 it makes you really question what the heck I am doing playing this game?

freeman

Re: Is this team really this bad???

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 7:13 pm

My thoughts:

(1) Youve got relatively cheap starting pitching that are S4s and S5s...and you combine that with mostly not very expensive relievers that only get one side out. I think you need more expensive R2s (around four million) that can get both sides out and cover four or five innings total. You dont want one-sided guys going for very long (because they run up against batters against their bad side)
... and yet they need to cover all these innings. Thats a contradiction. I actually have a similar team in Kaufman which is somewhat similar to Chase and it did not do that well because my 3 million starters (like yours) got lit up but at least I had high-quality relievers to back them up.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1599790

(2) I dont think you have enough power. Too many singles hitters or guys like Narvaez or Lindor who are mostly dependent on BP power. More doubles and non-bp hr power, I think. Anytime youre under .400 slugging nowadays in ANY park that's problematic and Chase is not really a pitcher's park. I really dont like Eaton and Pillar. And probably not Wong (though I just picked him up in a league, probably will regret it). If I go with defense and not much offense on a card...I want to go cheap. Id much rather have Almora at .9 than Pillar at 4.35.

freeman

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:18 pm

One last thing: I think Ohtani is fool's gold. A good value for the price...but DH and first base are two places (maybe catcher as well to a certain extent--not really certain of that one, myself) where you can stash good offensive/bad d players. You want a stud at DH and Ohtani is not. Dickerson is a cheap alternative but guys like Hiura, Cruz, etc can be gotten for 4-6 million and are difference makers.

ScumbyJr

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Brian_Asher wrote:https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1598577

Pick this team apart and give me some feedback.

My ball park is Chase. The other parks in division are Kauffman, Petco & Citizens.

I had 2 games that gave up 20 & 23 runs. so not counting them 2 games my ERA is 4.58

my line up
C Stallings v-L & Narvaez v-R
1B- Zimmerman & Castro
2B- Wong DEF-1
3B- Edman DEF-2
SS- Lindor DEF-1
LF- Eaton DEF-2
CF- Pillar DEF-1
RF- Bellinger DEF-1
DH- Ohtani with Desmond and Cabrera to cover if he goes down

Defense should not be a problem and I thought would help out my pitching staff.

but I can only average 3 runs a game.

This really makes it frustrating when you thought you had a decent team but when you start 5-16 it makes you really question what the heck I am doing playing this game?

Yes. Your pitching staff is poorly designed. Starters can't go deep, but your bullpen doesn't have any high price inning eaters, Your cheap RP are going to get used too much. Not enough offense to offset pitching. Defense may be the least important component in this set if you sacrifice offense for it

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx