Looking for pitcher prefs advice

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

davidjaredklein

Re: Looking for pitcher prefs advice

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm

Appreciate all the great feedback.

Another question - is there a place where you can see the rosters/results of winning teams? I would love to see how experienced managers allocate their $$ between hitting, pitching and fielding. I know there are some teams posted in the discussion threads but that’s only if someone wants to share info in a specific thread, I guess.

Thanks.

freeman

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm

You can find plenty of good ones on this page.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/tournamen ... 8/11705327

Palmtana

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 pm

I think freeman meant to provide this link:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/tournament/38

Lotsa teams, but at this point in the 2020 Tour not many Champs have been crowned yet. It's a beginning for you though.

You can find Champs from past years here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=645748

freeman

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Yep, sorry! Thanks for the correction.

DOUGLASLYNCH

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Which ratings guides are best for the ATG 9 All Eras leagues?

Palmtana

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:41 pm

Welcome to the game Douglas. Post your question in the ATG Forum to increase your chances for a response.

adstevens

Guides

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 3:19 pm

I've heard about the guides. even saw one fielding guide. But how do you use them or read them?
How do you balance the effect of a better hitter vs better fielder.

Just completed a league, i went for pitching and fielding (1b was a 3 or 4, e rating in teens). No other fielder was worse than a 2. had strong starters and great bullpen.

Lost in finals

looking for guidance

freeman

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Dean Carrano used the following formula per 108 chances on the batting card to generate runs created:

(TB * .318) + ((BB+HBP-CS-GIDP) * .333) + (H * .25) + (SB * .2) - (AB * .085)

He then formulated defensive runs saved or given up for every defensive position per 108 ar-bats (except for catcher). So you could compare two players using those calculations. You can google his article by looking for Strat defensive ratings or similar.

If you play ATG 8 or 9 you can go to diamonddope.com and they have runs created for every player for every park. Quite a useful tool. Then, of course, you could use Carrano's defensive ratings to compare players' total values.

In fact, on ATG 9 I do use those run created tools extensively to try to craft my teams. On 20XX it's not quite as scientific to be honest. I have the ratings guide which I can eyeball and tell what players are good fits for different types of park. I just do not have the time or inclination to run excel calculations for every park for every player. I just use a gestalt method... :D Diamondddope is awesome and gives ATG 9 an advantage over 20XX, but for whatever reason I still like 20XX better.

And I am not averse to looking at stats history to see how players have done in the actual game.

Radagast Brown

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Sadly people were so upset about relief pitchers pitching 200 innings they were willing to get rid of all control over their bullpens.

For some reason these same people don't have a problem with a SP pitching 350 innings, or hitters hitting over a 100 HRs.

By the way, there is a much greater likelihood of a real reliever being able to pitch 200 innings, than a starting pitcher pitching 350 innings or a batter hitting 100 HRs.

So, now unbelievably, people say things like, " YOUR BEST BET IS TO LEAVE THE RELIEVER SETTINGS BLANK".
But we play this game to be the manager and the GM. So to me, the cure is much worse than the actual problem.

WHO THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE LESS CONTROL OVER YOUR TEAM??

OIY, AND THIS WILL NEVER GET FIXED. IT REALLY MAKES NO SENSE.

STEVEPONEDAL

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 12:28 am

The Turtle wrote:I don't need more than a cursory look to see why your pitchers are struggling -- although I would have expected even worse to be honest. Your defense is really awful. Like awful. A 4 at 2B, a 3 in CF and SS, and a 5 in LF. You paid for hitting, and no defense and it is costing your pitchers a lot of hits. Click on the fielding tab and you can see Castro has let half the balls hit to him go by him, probably 20-30 extra hits compared to if you had a 2 or a 1 playing there. And Davis in LF, has gotten to a whopping 13 of 41 hits to him. That's not good. Top top it off you are in a HR heavy park. So all those extra hits cost you even more when the opponent hits a homer with men on.

Thanks for a great DEF review. Once read that 2nd+ SS+ CF has a DEF rating of less than 7. Make sense to you? Can late inning DEF changes help a weak at the beginning of game DEF?
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx