Looking for pitcher prefs advice

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

davidjaredklein

Looking for pitcher prefs advice

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi,

New to the 365 game (played decades ago as a kid). Lots of fun as a distraction in our world today.

Doing well on the hitting side in a 12 team league but below average on the pitching. Not really using many settings on starters other than slow hook on Castillo. On relievers setup roles for Chapman (closer, setup), Cordero (closer , setup) and Lorenzen (middle). Read it is good to give multiple roles to best relievers to avoid the weaker relievers coming in.

Been thinking about don’t relieve b4 setting. Had Strasburg pulled in 9th while pitching a no hitter. Just not sure how to bring down runs allowed - seems like all my pitchers have higher era than 2019 stats.

Here’s my team : https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1578564

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

David

ScumbyJr

Re: Looking for pitcher prefs advice

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 10:54 pm

David,
Be glad to help, but is this a "rookie" manager league? You are doing great, but we need to know what kind of competition you are facing.

davidjaredklein

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks. The skill level is standard. We played a rookie league with 6 teams first back in March, April.

davidjaredklein

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 7:48 am

Here is the information. Thanks

Player Set: 2019 season
Skill Level: Standard
Draft type: Live Draft
- Turn duration: 60 secs.
- Draft ballpark: no
Salary Cap: $80,000,000
FA Drop Penalty: 5/10/20% [?] DH Rule: yes
Waivers: NO - Frenzy immediately after draft
Super-Advanced Injuries: off (?)
Postseason Format: 2 rounds: Best-of-7, Best-of-7
Opening Day: Tuesday, May. 26, 2020
Managers may own multiple teams: no

The Turtle

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 3:43 pm

I don't need more than a cursory look to see why your pitchers are struggling -- although I would have expected even worse to be honest. Your defense is really awful. Like awful. A 4 at 2B, a 3 in CF and SS, and a 5 in LF. You paid for hitting, and no defense and it is costing your pitchers a lot of hits. Click on the fielding tab and you can see Castro has let half the balls hit to him go by him, probably 20-30 extra hits compared to if you had a 2 or a 1 playing there. And Davis in LF, has gotten to a whopping 13 of 41 hits to him. That's not good. Top top it off you are in a HR heavy park. So all those extra hits cost you even more when the opponent hits a homer with men on.

milleram

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 5:55 am

Probably best not to use many pitching settings -- strat has changed up some pitching rules starting this 2019 season, mostly dropping endurance for all pitchers--settings I used to use simply don't work anymore--leaving settings mostly blank seems to be as good as any.

6 inning endurance SP will not go 9 innings anymore--unless you set them to F0--they tend to drop to F1 fatigue (F9 being fresh) with last batter in 8th--best not to push it with a pitcher that is tired--I have had a couple of no-hitters removed for 9th inning this season. Each drop in F (fatigue) makes it more likely that the result is a bad one. In play by play the Fatigue of the pitcher is listed after each AB so you can get an idea of how the game went.

The pitching actually is good enough--I'm in a 80M league with an average league ERA of 4.59--it depends on the mix of parks as to each leagues average ERAs but they are almost all well over 4 this season--but just look in league team stats and see were you stand compared to the league.

The fielding does hurt the team ERA, but offence is compensating--run differential is what you look for and every team/ league is different--this exact team may have problems in another league.

I will say that generally I don't like the #2 SP being a five day guy in middle of a four day rotation--in effect all the cheaper 4 day guys are now every 5th game--and they are priced to pitch every 4th game. The same kind of card in a 5th day SP is priced lower than a 4 day SP as the number of expected starts is lower. (Bauer is OK price wise though as he's getting low priced anyway--and he is a 7 inning endurance so the only guy likely to go 9 innings a game or two)

davidjaredklein

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 8:02 am

Thanks Turtle. You are correct that when we drafted we focused on hitting, pitching and not fielding. Will modify draft strategy next go around. Would you say the range number is more important than projected number of errors hen evaluating a player’s defensive capability?

milleram

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 2:42 pm

https://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/bt ... atfldg.htm

This is a great reference for fielding--add the two per-game numbers together--it gives you an idea of how many total bases that fielder will give up in card chances referenced to 216 chances per each roll.

If you buy the strategy guide from Strat--you get these numbers for offence for every player too--so you can subtract one from other to see total effect of his offence minus defense.

remember a player gets 3 AB for every 27 AB he has to defend on average--so defense adds up.

AS a quick comparision I added JD Davis card--vs RH he is 116.2 offense in your park (GAP), this is in card chances, 1 for BB-2 for SI ...... 5 for HR (on Base + Slugging or OPS in card chances)--about the same LH as he is rated E--you would subtract 46.3 (Off the chart) from this to get his rating compared to say a 2 fielder the hits less but better fielder.

davidjaredklein

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:11 pm

milleram wrote:https://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf/pages/basesim/stratfldg.htm

If you buy the strategy guide from Strat--you get these numbers for offence for every player too--so you can subtract one from other to see total effect of his offence minus defense.

Thanks. A lot to digest here. Where Can you buy the strategy guide?

milleram

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm

you can get it off Strat site---either as a book--(released each year about a month prior to new set) or as an excel spread sheet download if you prefer that.

if you are good with excel you can write macros to sort players just about any way you want--I like the book just to browse through. There are no defensive charts in the guide book -- so still need that think-factory chart.

all available

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/product-ca ... ng-guides/

or 2019 book

http://www.strat-o-matic.com/product/20 ... ings-book/
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx