Relief Pitcher Usage Problems

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Knerrpool

Relief Pitcher Usage Problems

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Is anyone else experiencing increased HAL relief usage problems? I know it's always been spotty, but I've had at least two recent cases on this team where it should have been cut and dry (2019 set). Trevor Gott is my first listed middle man and setup. He was fresh for this game. I was leading 5-3 after 7. He proceeded to bring in 3 pitchers, none named Trevor Gott. I lost. This is at least the second time seeing this exact same scenario. Seems pretty clear that your setup guy should be brought in there. I sent an email to Strat after the first but of course did not get a response.

https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/449017/198

jjii66

Re: Relief Pitcher Usage Problems

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Before the recent rule changes, he would have been fresh. Nowadays, after a long outing, relievers sometimes need two days of rest. And it's quite ambiguous now... it seems that there is no longer any way for us to determine which pitchers are rested and which are not. I hope they modify the new rules soon, because this has taken some of the fun out of the game for me.

Knerrpool

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Yeah, that would be helpful. His previous three games were 0 IP, 3.1 IP, 0 IP - plus he's an R2. I could see requiring two days rest after pitching back to back games, but that certainly is not the case here. Prior to the recent bullpen changes I thought bullpen usage had generally been pretty good (or, at least I usually had an idea of why something happened). But, now, I have no idea.

freeman

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 4:39 pm

I think you can pretty much bank on your reliever needing two days of rest if he pitches 3 innings. I had an R3--Sims--who rested two days if he pitcher 3 innings every time with the exception of a couple times and then it was brief apps so he was essentially tired. And it also seems like Hal doesnt have a preference for pitching guys back-to-back games. It can happen but probably only if the rest of the bullpen is depleted.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx