Questions on Defense outcomes

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mickeybuhl

Questions on Defense outcomes

PostMon May 18, 2020 9:14 am

I hope one of the experienced players can help me understand some of the defensive outcomes. I played the board game extensively 30 years ago and I don't remember the possibility for outcomes like I see in SOM365. Hoping to understand where some of the outcomes result. Three examples:

I have CF-1. Frequently I saw, "Single + error, CF" even though it wasn't an X roll. Was that an overthrow trying to get a player advancing an extra base?

I have a 3B-1. On a GB(3B)X, there is a single. I thought fielders with a 1 range never gave up hits on X rolls.

Josh Johnson pitching. Roll of 5-5 vs RH hitter. His card says,
TR 1-9
DO 10-20
The outcome (with no one on base) is a Homerun. No error indicated. How does that happen.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Mickey

Ninersphan

Re: Questions on Defense outcomes

PostMon May 18, 2020 10:12 am

mickeybuhl wrote:I hope one of the experienced players can help me understand some of the defensive outcomes. I played the board game extensively 30 years ago and I don't remember the possibility for outcomes like I see in SOM365. Hoping to understand where some of the outcomes result. Three examples:

I have CF-1. Frequently I saw, "Single + error, CF" even though it wasn't an X roll. Was that an overthrow trying to get a player advancing an extra base?

I have a 3B-1. On a GB(3B)X, there is a single. I thought fielders with a 1 range never gave up hits on X rolls.

Josh Johnson pitching. Roll of 5-5 vs RH hitter. His card says,
TR 1-9
DO 10-20
The outcome (with no one on base) is a Homerun. No error indicated. How does that happen.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Mickey

If you could link to these games it would us help with explanations.

The only one I can comment on is the 3b-1, if your infield was in or you were holding a runner that required the 3b for the hold, his range would be reduced to 2, so an error would be possible. You don't list enough information though to detremine if that's the case.

ScumbyJr

PostMon May 18, 2020 10:16 am

Someone else will have to fill in the exact details, but the game engine here (referred as HAL) does things with defensive players and runners not part of the board game.
The HR was the runner stretching a triple into an inside-the-park.
The CF error was probably throwing like you said.
The 3B was perhaps playing deep guarding the line to prevent an extra base hit resulting in the single.

mickeybuhl

PostMon May 18, 2020 10:47 am

I didn't realize it was possible to stretch a triple into an HR or a double into a triple. Maybe I could have done that in the board game years ago too. I like to envision all the dice rolls / split card draws that would result in each of the plays, but I'll have to accept HAL doing things that I couldn't do in the board game. You guys are awesome, thank you much.

Ninersphan

PostMon May 18, 2020 11:58 am

mickeybuhl wrote:I didn't realize it was possible to stretch a triple into an HR or a double into a triple. Maybe I could have done that in the board game years ago too. I like to envision all the dice rolls / split card draws that would result in each of the plays, but I'll have to accept HAL doing things that I couldn't do in the board game. You guys are awesome, thank you much.

Unless a hit indication has an * or **, you have the option of stretching one more base, use hitters running rating and adjust for OF's arm. There are other adjustments, (RF throwing to 3b, two outs etc) ig no OF position is indicated assume CF.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx