pitcher pinch hitting?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

phalfoot

pitcher pinch hitting?

PostFri May 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello,

I have a bunch of injuries and I'd want to use a pitcher to pinch it. Is that possible? He would be better than my 3rd catcher for sure...

jjii66

Re: pitcher pinch hitting?

PostFri May 15, 2020 8:06 pm

Unfortunately, there's no way to designate a pitcher to be a pinch-hitter. You could try setting your 3rd catcher to Avoid LHP & RHP, but I still sort of doubt that the computer would skip him and use a pitcher. I suspect that every position player would be have to be gone before a pitcher would pinch-hit.
Incidentally-- unless you have a specific reason, you probably shouldn't be carrying 3 catchers. If the starter gets injured, the computer won't let your backup get injured... so you only need two. (This only applies to catchers.)

ScumbyJr

PostFri May 15, 2020 9:57 pm

phalfoot wrote:Hello,

I have a bunch of injuries and I'd want to use a pitcher to pinch it. Is that possible? He would be better than my 3rd catcher for sure...

HAL will occasional use a pitcher to PH. Not your choice though.

Palmtana

PostFri May 15, 2020 10:11 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:HAL will occasional use a pitcher to PH. Not your choice though.

When does this happen?

milleram

PostSat May 16, 2020 1:20 am

If you run out of bench players HAL will pinch hit with a pitcher, but only if no hitters left--I had Strasburg hit a pinch hit HR with the 2012 cards I think (#8 hitting card, but HR came off opposing pitchers card) --but, trying to remember, it was with a very short bench due to injuries. I think I only had 9 players in a noDH league and that one bench player had already PH earlier in game.

Mumford

PostSat May 16, 2020 2:39 am

Palmtana wrote:
ScumbyJr wrote:HAL will occasional use a pitcher to PH. Not your choice though.

When does this happen?

Usually long extra inning games with no DH if you have a high rated hitting pitcher.

Courtneylant

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 10:27 am

my issue is figuring out when HAL will pinch hit for a pitcher. case in point, Mario Soto up with 2 on, 2 out, holding onto a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the 7th. HAL let's him bat and Soto strikes out. to start the top of the 8th, HAL removes Soto for my setup man. i had hitters available on the bench.

is it because the one i had designated to PH vs. Righties was in the lineup (due to injury)?

it can't be because Soto hits better than the remaining bench players.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/448611/82
-Alexander Supertramp

milleram

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 10:07 pm

This is an irritating programming issue--Hal (the AI) does not know he is going to remove the pitcher till the top of the 8th comes along, therefore he lets him bat in 7th--if you had him set for remove after 7 (or any SP set for remove after 7)--he still would have hit.

There is a similar issue if Hal does PH for the pitcher--and then can't make a double switch--taking the PH out when he should have come into the game and put the pitcher in the 1 spot if the leadoff hitter got an AB that inning--NoDH programming has quite a few more flaws than DH leagues.

Al Hogg

PostSun Jun 14, 2020 10:05 pm

There is also the oddity that when pitchers do pinch hit, their stats from their pinch hitting don't show up in the pitcher batting stats on the roster pages. The pinch-hit appearances, though, are included on the Leaders page under Pitcher's Bat Avg and Pitcher's HRs.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx