Question on Starting Pitching

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

JGoodrich

Question on Starting Pitching

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:45 am

I just started playing in my first league with Strat-o-matic - 12 teams; 2019 season.

I am 12 games into the season and my starting pitching which I thought was pretty solid going in based on their 2019 MLB stats have gotten rocked around pretty good and I don't understand why? Any suggestions if I am missing something on a setting?

Thanks.

Rhu - 3 starts, 7.98 ERA and 1.42 WHIP - settings wide open, normal rest
Bieber 3 starts, 12.75 ERA, 2.75 WHIP - settings wide open, normal rest
Scherzer 2 starts, 12.47 ERA, 2.08 WHIP - settings wide open, normal rest
Chirinos, 2 starts, 14.22 ERA, 2.69 WHIP - quick hook, normal rest
Gallen, 2 starts, 5.40 ERA, 1.71 WHIP - quick hook, normal rest

freeman

Re: Question on Starting Pitching

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:51 am

Need to provide a link to your team so people can analyze potential issues. But without that...what is your defense like? A really bad defense can turn good pitchers into mediocre ones. I think those numbers will settle down a lot no matter what but they are also very concerning. And are you playing in a real offensive park like Coors?

JGoodrich

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:09 am

Hi Freeman,

I have only 8 errors in 12 games so don't think that is driving the offense against my pitchers.

Here is my roster: https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1572015

My home park is Globe Life Park.

My pitching is by far the worse in the league and it just does not make sense to me looking at my pitching vs the rest. Should not be that kind of gap even though small sample set.

freeman

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:43 am

Three factors: (1) youre playing in a 100 million league (not the default 80), so offenses tend to be a good deal better, (2) Globe is a very offensive park that puts a lot of runners on base due to ballpark singles and homeruns, (3) your defense is bad; you are only converting 64% of your X chances (you want to be at close to 80%; you can find this on your fielding page). As to what to do about it...you can try to upgrade your defense and perhaps try to get more innings shifted to dominant relievers who can get guys out. Another words if in this park and this 100 mill league your starters cant cut it...go quick hook and go to some dominant relievers, though Schwerzer and Ryu are pretty darn good. You have to figure out how to get outs in a very tough offensive environment for pitchers. I suspect as well that these numbers wont continue as bad as they are right now, but I do think you need to rethink what youre doing. Good luck!

JGoodrich

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:54 am

Thanks Freeman. Appreciate the feedback! Will see if I can make some tweaks to especially improve the D.

kev

PostThu May 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Another thing to point out....

Scherzer is 6R and Chirinos is 6L - if you look at your L/R stats you will see they are facing roughly even l and r batters. Pitchers the are more extreme vs one side or the other either need the ballpark dimension to compensate (not always enough; especially with 6L) or you need to be more selective on who they face. Otherwise results can be fairly volatile depending on dice rolls and stuff. If you look at Gallen, who is even and having more success, it may point to fact you're facing quite a balanced line up.

Keep in mind that with a 100m cap, as the other poster mentioned, the offence can be greater which can magnify these issue more. Finally, our only 21 games in so it may be small sample to draw any conclusions.

hope that helps a little more. Its take time to understand how this thing works (I am not where close myself)

JGoodrich

PostThu May 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Thanks Kev. Since I started off so bad, I basically replaced 7 of my 9 hitters in the lineup looking for as many 1s with strong arms in defense as possible. Since making that change, my pitchers are not giving up all those runs as before.

Definitely, will take your advice on the next league I join. Big learning curve 1st time for me.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx