A bunch of newb questions

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

surfdoc37

A bunch of newb questions

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Rotisserie buddies are going to draft from the 1982 set. Partly because the summer of '83 was the last one before rotisserie baseball swept the nation like the coronavirus (sorry) and the card set actually still exists in a couple basements. Most guys have never played SOM and nobody has ever tried 365. I thin my questions are general to a later season as well though.

So far I have successfully set up a private league and a number of owners have successfully joined up.

Now the questions:

Was there a way so set "NL only"or "AL only" and I missed it?

Second, our draft is going to be some kind of mix of live and autodraft. Some owners will be active online the entire time, some will be there part of the time, and some will have the "away" box clicked for the entire thing. The notion is we would get in 10-15 rounds "live" and let the computer finish up. Will that work?

Third, can I change the draft pick clock while in progress? If we find two minutes is to slow, can I speed it to 90 seconds on the fly? Similarly, we considered setting it at one hour to start, in case guys are late to join up, then speed it to 90 seconds once underway. Is that possible?

Fourth, do the robot teams just show up when the draft starts?

Fifth, is there any way for me to manually assign the draft order? Is that something I find out in the 30 minutes after the draft is initialized, but before it starts? Would like to offer owners the chance to pick their draft slot, derby style.

And probably most important saved for last, how can owners queue up their draft order ahead of time for a live draft? Would this all have to be done in the 30 minutes before the draft is scheduled to start? Would I have to switch to an autodraft (is that even possible) to allow queues to be built, then switch back to "live"? Would that then erase the queues which had been laboriously entered and honk everyone off? Could they build a queue offline in Word, then copy and paste it?

That is a lot, thanks in advance to anyone who weighs in wit help.

Mr Baseball World

Re: A bunch of newb questions

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 4:56 pm

There is no option for AL or NL only on the 1982 set

I don’t believe that bots are in play for a private league. I believe they only come into play in the auto draft leagues set up by Strat to fill with bots

You can’t set up queues before that half hour window nor set draft order though I think they may have opened early and/or set order upon email request

Mr Baseball World

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 5:04 pm

It will run all the rounds as live draft but I people can leave and it will auto draft for them first from queues and then if you run out will make its own picks. If everyone at some point left it would draft the rest for everyone

There is no way to move back and forth between auto draft and live draft. The auto draft here requires that you select the guys you want in the draft before entering the league.
Last edited by Mr Baseball World on Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScumbyJr

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 5:10 pm

surfdoc37 wrote:Rotisserie buddies are going to draft from the 1982 set. Partly because the summer of '83 was the last one before rotisserie baseball swept the nation like the coronavirus (sorry) and the card set actually still exists in a couple basements. Most guys have never played SOM and nobody has ever tried 365. I thin my questions are general to a later season as well though.

So far I have successfully set up a private league and a number of owners have successfully joined up.

Now the questions:

Was there a way so set "NL only"or "AL only" and I missed it?

Second, our draft is going to be some kind of mix of live and autodraft. Some owners will be active online the entire time, some will be there part of the time, and some will have the "away" box clicked for the entire thing. The notion is we would get in 10-15 rounds "live" and let the computer finish up. Will that work?

Third, can I change the draft pick clock while in progress? If we find two minutes is to slow, can I speed it to 90 seconds on the fly? Similarly, we considered setting it at one hour to start, in case guys are late to join up, then speed it to 90 seconds once underway. Is that possible?

Fourth, do the robot teams just show up when the draft starts?

Fifth, is there any way for me to manually assign the draft order? Is that something I find out in the 30 minutes after the draft is initialized, but before it starts? Would like to offer owners the chance to pick their draft slot, derby style.

And probably most important saved for last, how can owners queue up their draft order ahead of time for a live draft? Would this all have to be done in the 30 minutes before the draft is scheduled to start? Would I have to switch to an autodraft (is that even possible) to allow queues to be built, then switch back to "live"? Would that then erase the queues which had been laboriously entered and honk everyone off? Could they build a queue offline in Word, then copy and paste it?

That is a lot, thanks in advance to anyone who weighs in wit help.

Depending on availability you can draft via these discussion forums. Many private leagues use the Individual League Chat forum to conduct drafts. You can do as many rounds you want and finish up with an auto draft.

surfdoc37

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:40 am

Mr Baseball World wrote:
I don’t believe that bots are in play for a private league. I believe they only come into play in the auto draft leagues set up by Strat to fill with bots

Are you guys 100% sure about that?

Because, that would STINK, to have nine guys set and ready to go and the league just somehow turned off right before the draft is supposed to start.

I assumed (I know, don't assume) it would be like the mock drafts (I participate live, the other teams were robots) and the free newb practice league (I was live, the other six squads are robots) which I participated in before taking the plunge and signing up.

There is not a lot of clarity on the web site.

And my emails have gone unanswered. I guess after the first one I am spam!

Mr Baseball World

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:17 am

I’m sure that the way the live drafts work is if they don’t fill by 30 minutes or so before draft time that they won’t start...they have to fill to run. Bots are not added. My only uncertainty was whether strat could add them in upon request. Sorry I was not very clear on that. Tried to answer fast while at work.

It looks to me like you can’t change the pick duration once the draft has opened but I have never tried to do that.

STEVE F

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:43 am

Normally, they are very good about answering emails. But my last several have also gone unanswered. I assume this is because of the virus, they are running a skeleton crew.

Mr Baseball World

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:24 pm

I do see now when getting ready to buy teams that there is a note there that they will add bot teams to leagues upon request,

Palmtana

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Mr Baseball World wrote:I do see now when getting ready to buy teams that there is a note there that they will add bot teams to leagues upon request,

Hurrah. I'm guessing the managers in this thread, as well as surfdoc, got this Bot ball rolling. Way to go new folk!
Innovation comes slowly to this game, as a matter of course, but innovations are picking up of late.

If you haven't heard back from Strat for your Bot request try again with "Bot Managers" in the subject line.

Mr Baseball World

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 11:36 am

Last I saw they were up to 11 managers and don't see the league now so they must have filled it
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx