Play-by-Play Quick Question - Not Understanding

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

ElCardinale

Play-by-Play Quick Question - Not Understanding

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:11 am

Here is the play-by-play line:

1 123 A.Verdugo 3-11 Line Out (2B) b-0 bpSI 1-12 F9

Doesn't that mean 11 for the 1-20 roll so should be a ballpark single since it's bpSI 1-12?

I'd appreciate if someone can explain it to me or provide a link to a good resource.

Thanks.

jjii66

Re: Play-by-Play Quick Question - Not Understanding

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:24 am

I don't know exactly how ballpark singles work, but I know that the 11 is definitely NOT the split roll. The 3-11 means you look at Verdugo's card... column 3, number 11 (I assume against a lefty, which would be a ballpark single... and the ballpark I assume must be a 1-12 for left-handed batters.) So it looks to me like they don't show the actual split roll, but obviously it was above 12.

Mumford

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 am

No, there is an additional roll to determine the BP single or HR.

# -- Ballpark home run reading. An additional roll determines whether there is a home run or a flyout. Obviously, the probability varies by ballpark and whether the hitter is lefthanded or righthanded. The original result listed is ignored -- in effect, the result will be determined by "rolling against" the ballpark's home run rating (a random number from 1-20). If the number rolled is equal to or lower than the ballpark's rating for a left- or righthanded hitter, it is a home run.

> -- Ballpark singles rating. An additional roll determines whether there is a single or a lineout. The probability varies by ballpark and whether the hitter is lefthanded or righthanded. The original result listed is ignored -- in effect, the result will be determined by "rolling against" the ballpark's singles rating (a random number from 1-20). If the number rolled is equal to or lower than the ballpark's rating for a left- or righthanded hitter, it is a single.

ElCardinale

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Thank you both. It was odd because all the other ballpark-affected events in that game made it look like the second roll was the ballpark roll, and this one was the outlier. I appreciate the clarification.

Ninersphan

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 5:23 pm

ElCardinale wrote:Thank you both. It was odd because all the other ballpark-affected events in that game made it look like the second roll was the ballpark roll, and this one was the outlier. I appreciate the clarification.

Yeah the play by play doesn't show the split roll only the result so your roll could have been anything from 13-20

DonWilsonRIP

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 9:20 am

I have a similar question. Jerry Grote rolls a 4-11 facing Mickey Lolich. that's a #HR 1-12 fly(lf)B 13-20. I know the # = bp1-18 (ebbetts '55) The play-by-play shows the result was a single. How? I thought it would either be a HR or an out. Thanks.

apolivka

PostSat Jun 13, 2020 12:47 pm

BP-HRs turn into a single** if the player is rated "Weak" rather than "Normal". That W/N rating can be different depending on if facing a lefty or righty pitcher.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx