Why does an S4 only pitch 5 inningsmax?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Why does an S4 only pitch 5 inningsmax?

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 pm

I always thought it was endurance rating plus 2 innings. I.E. an S4 could go 6 innings max
When did this change?

milleram

Re: Why does an S4 only pitch 5 inningsmax?

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm

S4 have different rules than the rest. (or S1 I assume if they start using them)

Most of the time they come out at three innings if settings left blank. (it might be pitch count related) it seems a 50-50 chance they will be removed for 4th and they very seldom get to 5th, but it's 5 inning max---I was very disappointed using them as SP--They came out after 3 innings throwing a shutout often, all they did for me was cause BP fatigue.

I have had one manager tell me to set them slow hook and F7 or lower tends to keep them in game a bit longer, but 5 inning is tops.

STEVE F

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 5:05 pm

That seems to be the case Randy. But here is the interesting thing. I have Urias set at F3 and slow hook. He's made 10 starts so far. He has gone exactly 5 innings every time except once, when he pitched 5 2/3 innings. Again, I can't explain How I got 5 2/3 that one time. I may try him at F0 slow hook next start just to see what happens.

RandyW64

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Hey Steve,

I was the one who said set to F7 and slow hook. I used it last year with Max Fried, and he pitched 5 innings about 1/2 the time. NEVER more than 5 though. I used him on about 5 different teams last year, with the same settings, and not once did he go longer than 5.

This season I tried it also with Brendan McKay (not by choice, but because one of my regular starters got hurt for 15games) and used the same settings -- and he want 5 in 2 out of 3 of his starts --- but NEVER more than 5.

I agree that it would seem to be beneficial if they could go 6, but, in my experience with Fried, the 5th inning is touch and go (meaning he either gets them 1-2-3 or gets bombed in the 5th!)

Let me know if you find any better settings.
Randy

freeman

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I believe Strat looks at them as a hybrid S4/R3player, someone who starts and long relieves. This is to adjust to how teams are using some starters nowadays. So you have a guy like Urias who is compiling all these good stats as a reliever than you are going to now make them an elite starter? No, that wouldn't make sense--it is much, much harder for a starter to duplicate reliever stats. So you make it so they go 4-5 innings, so their value as a starter gets dinged a bit to come down to their value as a reliever, at least somewhat. It makes sense to me.

geekor

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:13 pm

freeman wrote:I believe Strat looks at them as a hybrid S4/R3player, someone who starts and long relieves. This is to adjust to how teams are using some starters nowadays. So you have a guy like Urias who is compiling all these good stats as a reliever than you are going to now make them an elite starter? No, that wouldn't make sense--it is much, much harder for a starter to duplicate reliever stats. So you make it so they go 4-5 innings, so their value as a starter gets dinged a bit to come down to their value as a reliever, at least somewhat. It makes sense to me.

Pretty much they didn't want a dominant s4 going 7+ innings, since even in real life those hybrids, even if pitching well, were removed after their innings cap. Many teams look at the stats that the 3rd time though the lineup the hitters on average hit over .300 vs the pitcher, so they don't, IRL, go over that limit.

If you're going to allow the S4, you have to do something to make them act as they were intended, that was their "fix"

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx