MLB coming...in May?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chris.sied@yahoo.com

MLB coming...in May?

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Has anyone else seen this story about MLB starting as early as next month? The details are ridiculous. All games played in Phoenix, no fans, teams quarantined at local hotels, players sitting in the stands rather than dugouts so they can stay 6 feet apart, robotic umpires calling balls and strikes...it goes on and on.

I am mixed. It would be nice to have baseball, but I am not sure I can envision this as baseball as much as glorified scrimmages. Reading this, I am pretty doubtful they could pull it off anyway.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/290 ... ly-arizona

Ninersphan

Re: MLB coming...in May?

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 2:26 pm

chris.sied@yahoo.com wrote:Has anyone else seen this story about MLB starting as early as next month? The details are ridiculous. All games played in Phoenix, no fans, teams quarantined at local hotels, players sitting in the stands rather than dugouts so they can stay 6 feet apart, robotic umpires calling balls and strikes...it goes on and on.

I am mixed. It would be nice to have baseball, but I am not sure I can envision this as baseball as much as glorified scrimmages. Reading this, I am pretty doubtful they could pull it off anyway.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/290 ... ly-arizona

Long way from this happening. Lots of things to figure/work out, not the least of which would be testing every that's going to be involved, players, coaches, trainers, umpires, equipment staff, grounds crew and that's just off the top of my head.

STEVE F

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I'll take it in any form. Truth is , I don't much care for the way the game is played these days anyway. But I want the Strat cards! :D

chasenally

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:45 pm

The players would have to stay away from their families for 3 and 1/2 months. I think it will happen. Gone for the year and people find something else to do. They will have some sort of a season.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

STEVE F

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Teams can't afford to start paying back too much of that TV money.

elpasopesos

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Prediction. There willbe no MLB season in 2020.

geekor

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 am

Estimates are now stay at home orders will be until June or July.

Either play a half season or cancel it.

STEVE F

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 11:30 am

geekor wrote:Estimates are now stay at home orders will be until June or July.

Either play a half season or cancel it.

Just curious where you got that information?

geekor

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Well here in California it's looking that way. They haven't made it official, but since the curve hasn't flattened here at all that's what they are expecting right now.

School have already been cancelled (distance learning only). It started until April, then until May. this week's email from our superintendent it was just straight up gone, not graduation, no nothing. Finish it up online, but not going back to the campus at all this school year.

Not official again, but talked about by Gov and Mayor of LA, looks like it will be stay at home through May, which means June the earliest for games in this state. But the warning was it could be even longer. Don't expect it to be over soon.

evdebs

PostThu Apr 09, 2020 1:47 pm

Sure, players could stay apart in the stands. But what about making tags? Or gap fly balls where outfielders come close? Doesn't make sense.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx