Since most have time on thier hands,

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

chasenally

Since most have time on thier hands,

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm

I thought maybe we could list our best 5 movies in Comedy, Drama, Horror and Action so others could watch them if they haven't already. If I have missed a category please list it. In the end maybe we can come up with a top 5 of all time. Please add a quote to every movie you list and why you love it. Lets start with Comedy because well it is funny.

My Top 5

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
“When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. And that one sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Son, the strongest castle in all of England.”

This movie slays me every time I watch it. I even got my 15 year old son to watch it and he loved it. This movie is great from start to finish. They had guys acting as horses clicking coconuts together because the budget could not afford horses.

Animal House
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

This is a very close second as this Movie also is a classic from start to finish.

Big Trouble in Little China
"Okay, I get the picture White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake, huh? Sure, okay, I see Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu and a hundred howlin' monkey temples, and that's just for starters, right? Fine! I'm back! I'm ready, goddammit let me at 'em!"

This movie is way out their in Leftfield and Kurt Russell puts on a great performance.

We are the Millers
"Give me a haircut that says, I get up every morning at 5:30 and commute for an hour and a half to some bullshit job."

I have seen this movie 50 times and it still never gets old. This movie is great and Jennifer Aniston dance scene is one of the best ever. This family rocks it!

Duck Soup
"Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come he wasn't home. Tuesday we go to the ball game, but he fool us: he no show up. Wednesday HE go to the ball game, but we fool HIM, WE no show up. Thursday it was a double-header nobody show up. Friday it rained all day, there was no ball game, so we stayed home, we listen to it over the radio."

The Marx Brothers are so funny and this is their best movie. Very fast paced and really funny. The quotes in this movie should make you cry from laughter.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

STEVE F

Re: Since most have time on thier hands,

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 pm

Three words. The Big Lebowiski. If you haven't watched it, do so. Then watch it two more times.

rolandzeut

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 am

STEVE F wrote:Three words. The Big Lebowiski. If you haven't watched it, do so. Then watch it two more times.

Absolute classic! But only 1 of many truly great Coen Bros. movies:

Fargo
The Hudsucker Proxy
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Blood Simple
No Country For Old Men
True Grit

Jerlins

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 8:12 am

There are a couple of movies that might have been under the radar (at least for younger folks) that I've enjoyed. The other three I'm sure everyone has seen.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West:
Henry Fonda, who was always portrayed as a "good guy, fatherly type" character in Hollywood, plays an absolute badass.

2. Midnight Cowboy:
At the time, this movie was rated X, and was the only one to ever win "Best Picture" It would be a stretch to be rated R these days.

3. Unforgiven
4. Goodfellas
5. El Camino

Ninersphan

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 pm

My Top five comedies:

Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World Treasure hunt/chase screwball comedy starring:
Milton Bearle
Spencer Tracy
Sid Ceasar
Buddy Hacket
Ethel Merman
Mickey Rooney
Jonathan Winters
Jim Backus
Edie Adams
Amongst others they don't make 'em like this anymore.

What's Up Doc
, a Barbera Streisand vehicle, where she doesn't sing, another cast of many screwball comedy involving mixed up luggage. It may not sound like much but you'll bust a gut.

Who's Minding the Store- a Jerry Lewis film that had me in tears laughing so hard.

History of the World Part 1
- I could list almost any Mel Brooks film in this list, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Space Balls... LOVE Mel Brooks comedies

Blues Brothers, Jake and Elwood on a mission from God.

Animal House already listed so I picked the other Belushi classic.

Honorable mention to Monty Python and The Holy Grail, which was also listed earlier.

You'll note I have a lot of older films on my list, to me, comedies, since somewhere in the 90's have two major problems, either they give most of the funniest bits away in the trailer and/or, they just aren't that funny.

freeman

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Top 7 comedies in no particular order:

1. In Bruges
2. Blazing Saddles
3. A Fish Called Wanda
4. Office Space.
5. The Big Lebowski
6. Clerks
7. Life of Brian

fredpaii

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 11:05 pm

In no order...

Let The Right One In (the original)
The Man From Earth (do NOT watch the sequel)
He Never Died
History of the World Part One (almost too many funny scenes...if that's possible)
Schindler's List
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Good Will Hunting (nice story)
Hotel Rwanda
Into The Wild
Breakfast Club (loved it when it came out)

Ninersphan

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:45 am

fredpaii wrote:In no order...

He Never Died
History of the World Part One (almost too many funny scenes...if that's possible)
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
Into The Wild

How is this a COMEDY???

You didn't read Chase'e post carefully, he wants your top 5 comedies, then he switch to a different genre. I'm guessing the top three on your list aren't comedies either, but i haven't seen them.

Ninersphan

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:47 am

Jerlins wrote:There are a couple of movies that might have been under the radar (at least for younger folks) that I've enjoyed. The other three I'm sure everyone has seen.

1. Once Upon a Time in the West:
Henry Fonda, who was always portrayed as a "good guy, fatherly type" character in Hollywood, plays an absolute badass.

2. Midnight Cowboy:
At the time, this movie was rated X, and was the only one to ever win "Best Picture" It would be a stretch to be rated R these days.

3. Unforgiven
4. Goodfellas
5. El Camino

Chase wanted us to list Comedies first. All good films ( well can't speak for the last one) but if you are counting any of these as comedic, you have a VERY dark sense of humor. ;)

fredpaii

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:56 am

Ninersphan wrote:
fredpaii wrote:In no order...

He Never Died
Schindler's List
Hotel Rwanda
Into The Wild

How is this a COMEDY???

You didn't read Chase'e post carefully, he wants your top 5 comedies, then he switch to a different genre. I'm guessing the top three on your list aren't comedies either, but i haven't seen them.

I'm sorry. You're right about Schindler's. Although He Never Died is kind of a comedy. Breakfast Club is part comedy. Cuckoo's Nest is also part comedy IMO. As well as Good Will Hunting (although also very serious subject matter). The Man From Earth, Hotel Rwanda, and Let The Right One In are definitely not comedy's. But I love them anyways!

EDIT: I forgot about American Pie. In addition to being funny we get to see a lot of Shannon Elizabeth. That's a win-win in my book.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx