2019 Ratings Guide puzzlers

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: 2019 Ratings Guide puzzlers

PostSat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm

MARCPELLETIER wrote:I think it's rather a case where SOM normalized the stats facing lhp/rhp stats over 3 years to balance the card. I'm guessing that Kiermeyer's card vs rhp is better than his ,197/.254/.382 line vs rhp in 2019.

That doesn't appear to be the case. Strat's numbers for Kiermaier vs. RHPs...14 Hits and 18 OB.

Ninersphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:23 am

fredpaii wrote:
MARCPELLETIER wrote:I think it's rather a case where SOM normalized the stats facing lhp/rhp stats over 3 years to balance the card. I'm guessing that Kiermeyer's card vs rhp is better than his ,197/.254/.382 line vs rhp in 2019.

That doesn't appear to be the case. Strat's numbers for Kiermaier vs. RHPs...14 Hits and 18 OB.

The simplest answer, and the thing most of us seem to forget, is that the game is meant to be a simulation. What do I mean by that and why does it answer your initial question/concern about Kiermaier's card?? I'll explain.

At it's heart Strat is a simulation designed to re-create the real MLB season just played using Strat's cards, rules and dice. In other words, if you were to play the Tampa Bay Rays 162 game season using the cards and dice, and mimicking exactly the line ups, pitching changes etc, that MLB used, the card should produce numbers very close to Kiermaier's actual stats.

In essence, the added performance you are missing is on the pitchers' cards that he faced throughout the year. So will he hit those same numbers in our 12 team environment? Nope. Nor should you expect him to. The cards aren't made in a vacuum to repeat the numbers that actually happened in real life, no matter what situation you use them in.

It would be impossible to design the card to do that and come up with the same result in the simulation example I already mentioned.

geekor

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Bregman. That card will not get a .941 OPS vs rhp he had.

freeman

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Well, It's interesting that the numbers seem to be line with what he did in GAMES where he started against a left-handed starter. That includes what he did against the left-handed starter and against relievers in those games, regardless of hand. But...who knows.

mlbphan

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 5:08 pm

take a look at Yankee Stadium for the ballpark HR’s. that’s a serious puzzler!! drops by a combined negative 8 in just one year for HR’s.

Last year 1-17 LH HR & 1-14 RH HR
This year 1-13 LH HR & 1-10 RH HR

for the second consecutive season the Yankees broke their own team record for HR’s & were a close 2nd to those AL record setting Target Field bashing Twins this season.

So the numbers do not make any sense especially when you look at, for example, Citizens Bank Park which had no HR change at all (remained 1-16 both sides last year & this) & yet the Phillies as a team hit a much lower amount of team HR’s.
what am I missing in the calculations here & what’s the formula they’re using for ballparks??

things from STRAT that make one think WTH is that all about?!?!

STEVE F

PostSun Jan 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Richmond probably wanted to put more "clean" home runs on the batters cards, because he's a Yankme fan

toronto50

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:28 am

As far as outfield arms go, how is it calculated? Difficult because the eye test from watching games will not show up on a stat sheet. How many runners did not even attempt to make the turn and stretch for an extra bag on puig, judge, betts etc?

I am interested to see how Lourdes gurriel gets rated after switching from 2b (where he suffered Sax/Knoblauch yips) to leftfield. He became an average fielder but he threw out 9 runners in 532 innings/106 TC. Similar numbers for Anderson, Renfroe, Naquin. Hard to get an assist if no one runs on you, but easier if you are being tested.

geekor

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:56 am

Someone please answer me this....

How is Yelich a 1, when Meadows is a 2 (injury)? Also Trout?

All 3 had injuries and missed time, but Yelich played the LEAST amount of games of the 3 but got a 1 injury rating?

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 am

fredpaii wrote:

Actually, for a ,197/.254/.382 line, I would expect worse than 14 Hits and 18 OB. It's pretty much the performance of a #6 hitter pitchers card: 6 hits, 10 on-base, max.

Makes me think they did normalize.

At it's heart Strat is a simulation designed to re-create the real MLB season just played using Strat's cards, rules and dice. In other words, if you were to play the Tampa Bay Rays 162 game season using the cards and dice, and mimicking exactly the line ups, pitching changes etc, that MLB used, the card should produce numbers very close to Kiermaier's actual stats.

Sure, niner, but consider this:

If SOM takes away 14 chances of on-base vs lhp, and adds up 7 chances of on-base vs rhp. If you then were to play the Tampa Bay Rays 162 game season using the cards and dice, and mimicking exactly the line ups, pitching changes, you will reproduce more or less Kiermeyer OVERALL performance, and will reproduce Tampa Bay performance, as long as yous stimulation gets a 33%-67% lhp/rhp ratio.

The only thing you will not reproduce is Kiermeyer's record vs lhp and vs rhp taken out of context, but the overall simulation will not be affected.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx