Virtual Reality 12 team league-25 man lists-FA Draft

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

oldmansmith2

Re: Virtual Reality 12 team league- drafting franchises

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:20 pm

ycbill wrote:I think getting an early FA pick is a huge deal and should be available to those who get the last franchise picks. If I randomly got #2 franchise pick and anything better than #11 FA pick, it would be a big advantage at the Strat-O-Matic roulette wheel.

Agree 100% I don't expect to get better than 12th pick, I just don't think 12-1, 12-1 is necessary given the cap restrictions.

Eddie E

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Really? I dont think you would be saying that if you picked first and then had to cut the five best players on the team. Honestly, I dont care what we decide but the first five teams in the draft WILL NOT be any better than the last five teams. Just reread what Geoff wrote when he started the league. The idea was that every single team would be on equal footing
due to the 75 mil cap and that was when it was a 24 team league. Honestly, with a 12 team league NOBODY has an advantage.

If we randomize again and go serpentine, no one will have an advantage in the FA portion either. This really seems the fairest way to deal with the FA portion of the draft.

If you dont believe me, then do me a favor and try to construct a 25 man roster for $75 mil out of Oakland, Milwaukee or Los Angeles. You HAVE to cut the best players to do this which means that there are no powerhouses. If you actually do this last part you will understand that nobody has an advantage.

gbrookes

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Eddie E wrote:Really? I dont think you would be saying that if you picked first and then had to cut the five best players on the team. Honestly, I dont care what we decide but the first five teams in the draft WILL NOT be any better than the last five teams. Just reread what Geoff wrote when he started the league. The idea was that every single team would be on equal footing
due to the 75 mil cap and that was when it was a 24 team league. Honestly, with a 12 team league NOBODY has an advantage.

If we randomize again and go serpentine, no one will have an advantage in the FA portion either. This really seems the fairest way to deal with the FA portion of the draft.

If you dont believe me, then do me a favor and try to construct a 25 man roster for $75 mil out of Oakland, Milwaukee or Los Angeles. You HAVE to cut the best players to do this which means that there are no powerhouses. If you actually do this last part you will understand that nobody has an advantage.

This is all true -

But if some of the managers have a preference that we wait to declare our rosters until after the franchise draft, it can't hurt, except for a slight delay in the fun!

Eddie E

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:16 pm

I agree that we should wait to declare our rosters, I was just saying for those who feel the top picks have an advantage, they should try to build a 25 man roster for under 75 mil with any of the top teams and they will quickly find out that there was no advantage to picking early other than maybe getting your favorite team or favorite player.

gbrookes

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:22 pm

^^^^^ Agree! Thanks for the compliment.

I roughed out the 25 man list for the team that I am thinking of. Definitely not a contender, but the cap will be a factor in crafting that team also. So yes, in the end, this league should be fully competitive, with the allowable 5 roster spots for free agents, even for teams that were at (near?) the bottom of the league in real life. The deconstruction of trade deadline acquisitions also means that the teams in the bottom half of the league in real life should be competitive.

So in the end, it should be like any other 200X league for competitive balance - but the teams should have the "flavour" of their real life rosters.

paul j kiggins

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:24 pm

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 1:57 pm

1. Oldmansmith2 - Oakland Athletics
2. ycbill - Milwaukee Brewers
3. Eddie E - Los Angeles Dodgers
4. carlerik - Washington Nationals
5. Paul j kiggins- Rockies
6. STEVENHOLMAN - Houston Astros
7. unclerouser - Cleveland Injuns
8. FAaron - NY Mets
9. Spider67
10. GBrookes
11. LMBombers
12. Sam Hoff

LMBombers

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:28 pm

8. FAaron - NY Mets
9. Spider67 - NY Yankees
10. GBrookes
11. LMBombers
12. Sam Hoff

gbrookes

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I want to point out that there might be some confusion among some of you about the initial 25 man roster, and how that relates to the team that you will field during the regular season.

Some of you might not be noting that ultimately the requirement is only for 20 players from your franchise.

So, for example, if you want a particular franchise, but there are only 13 batters available, and let's say only 11 pitchers, just list the 24 players that are actually available as your initial "25 man" roster. If, for example, those 24 players have combined salaries of $77 million, then choose which one(s) you will delete in order to get under the $75 man salary cap. Let's say you choose to delete a RP with a salary of $3 million, to get down under $75 million for your initial roster, which means you have 23 roster spots to start.

In that example, you can legitimately list those 23 players with a combined salary of $74 million as your initial "25 man" roster. Then, once we start the player draft, you will need to make some choices, to keep your team under $75 million. If you have less than 25 players entering the autodraft, then you will have to make further choices.

The main rules are that you must always keep at least 20 players that are from your franchised team (taking into consideration the roster adjustments that I have specified), and of course you must not exceed the salary cap. Within those 2 main rules, there will be some reasonable accmmodations, in the spirit of the example that I have given above.

gbrookes

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 5:33 pm

8. FAaron - NY Mets
9. Spider67 - NY Yankees