New Alternate Lineups

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

paul8210

Re: New Alternate Lineups

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 2:49 am

While this feature might seem realistic it actually diminishes the value of your Tommy Johns, Claude Osteens, Al Downings, etc in a way that is unrealistic.

It was fun to be able to plan a three-game series by putting pitchers out there that could complement each other and hold down those mighty batters, but, that's out the window.

What's unrealistic is managers setting a stacked lineup for a particular game based on analysis of 162 games of historical data.

Warren Spahn, a reverse-pitcher, faced left-handers 25 percent of the time. This new game feature encourages the manager to ignore realism in the interest of "control", control a real life manager would never have because he would never be able to benefit from 162 games of historical evidence unless 162 games were actually played.

It's that old argument: realistic replay vs "what if we lived in an alternate universe?"; which is better?

ROBERTVOZZA

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:09 am

Good points about realism. Yet, this is a game where the rules are the same for everyone. And the players who know how and actually take the time to use those rules to their advantage should actually have an advantage for putting the time in.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 3:15 am

I take back what I said. I hate the new lineup strategy. I dont understand it. And I dont want to use it. I started a new leagie tonight and because I didn't understand the new lineup changes I just used my default lineus against HRP and LHP. HAK completely inserted anyone he wanted against both RH and LH pitching - completely ingoring the lineups that I set for the games. I am so enraged that I want a refund for that season and one for my team I bought separately today ad have decided that I am done with playing Stratomatic baseball altogether. I have seldom oif ever liked the changes they have implemented over the years aand have also hated the growing pains of all the technical problems and glitches they have caused us to deal with every time they have done this. And I have finally had it with the System. After 18 years I am done with SOM. This was the last straw for me. I will miss all the great people in the community and the good friens I have made here. But I have never been happy with the Company since they took over from TSN - When it was GREAT!. it has NEVER been he same. Yet I supported it for 18 years. Mostly because of my friendships with members of the community that I played with. But at my age I am weary of the technical changes. No more for this ornery change resistant old man.
Goodbye. Sincerely, Robert

elpasopesos

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:33 pm

MarlinGene wrote:About four years ago, I sent a similar post to this one...sorry for the re-run, if you saw it.

The variety of lineup options continues to grow. I would like to see a button that makes a lineup "inactive" or "active".

Even with the relatively new "Clear Lineup" and "Copy Another Lineup" buttons, you essentially have to take care to COMPLETELY clear a lineup if you do not want to use it...but even worse, you have to RECONSTRUCT it, is you want to use it later.

The first two lineups, "vs. L" and "vs R" should always be ACTIVE, but these awesome innovative lineups need to be "put to sleep" at times, without having to reconstruct the whole thing, including backups (and the very cool Platoon PHs). A simple "Active/Inactive" binary toggle would do it.

Then again, if this is added, then I would just move on to ask "Why can't we set up our lineups game by game, rather than indexing by pitcher handedness or slant?"

Play on and Trade on,

Gene!

I agree with you Gene about the game by fame line up/ The [problem os the number of owners who keep 6 or 7 starters then change a starter with 5 minutes to go in making all lineup and strategy changes. This is not done in real baseball.

milleram

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 4:56 pm

It is a little easier to make a mistake--but shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 three games series to get the hang of it.

I hope you don't go Robert--just use the first 2 or 4 lineups un-altered if you want them like previous old lineups--(vs RH/LH, Reverse RH/LH) it is set up that way by default, so just ignore the balance use switches at top of Alternate lineups, and use the first 4 lineups only--it is the exact same as previous years if you do not use the balance switches.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 5:20 pm

THanks Mill. I definitely overreacted last night. I had a hard time paying for a team with a credit card earlier and the lineup errors on opening day just set me off. To buy myself time to learn the new system, I just set default lineups vs the Right side and Leftside, But HAL changed both the lineups(Vs the right side) AND kept players in the lineup that I replaced vs the Leftside. (ie Choi, Franco and Wynns.) Ironically, I somehow lucked out and won that game against the LH SP. My issue was wth HAL not using the lineups and players I set in Default. Im still playingthat league because it is mostly people I know and GOOD FRIENDS. But if HAL does the same thing tonight, Im going to be upset. R

timothygager

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Since they did this there needs to be separate defensive replacements/pinch runners to be used specifically for each of the six possible line-ups.

elpasopesos

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 5:40 pm

paul8210 wrote:While this feature might seem realistic it actually diminishes the value of your Tommy Johns, Claude Osteens, Al Downings, etc in a way that is unrealistic.

It was fun to be able to plan a three-game series by putting pitchers out there that could complement each other and hold down those mighty batters, but, that's out the window.

What's unrealistic is managers setting a stacked lineup for a particular game based on analysis of 162 games of historical data.

Warren Spahn, a reverse-pitcher, faced left-handers 25 percent of the time. This new game feature encourages the manager to ignore realism in the interest of "control", control a real life manager would never have because he would never be able to benefit from 162 games of historical evidence unless 162 games were actually played.

It's that old argument: realistic replay vs "what if we lived in an alternate universe?"; which is better?

Paul I disagree with you about the lack of realism. In real baseball, they will start a guy against a pitcher because of a lifetime of stats, Basing it off 162 games pales in comparison.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx