Did Strat start using a pitch count?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

gbrookes

Re: Did Strat start using a pitch count?

PostSat Mar 09, 2019 4:35 pm

I have also *often* seen SPs pulled at F9, if I leave the individual pitcher settings blank. I think this would happen regularly when reliever settings are set to aggressive, but will also often occur when reliever settings are "normal". That's what I think my experience has been, anyway. If I set a starter to quick hook, it happens very often.

Like Steve is saying, the lower the starter endurance ratings (esp in recent 200X sets), the more likely the starter might be pulled while still at F9.

And yes, situational in-game matchups can make the "non-tired-hook" more likely.

I find the modern MLB pitcher useage make this a very interesting in-game and inter-game strategic challenge, which affects the pitching staff roster competition. Ironically, it can add even more relative value to SPs with longer endurance ratings, because they have an ability to eat innings and give the bullpen a break by going deeper into games. I am also finding that I am more likely to set the starters to "slow hook", or use the "don't relieve before F9" setting, especially when my team used up all of its relievers in the last game(s) (second or third games) of the previous night, so as not to create an empty bullpen for games 1 or 2 of the current night's games. This is when it's fabulous to have a stud SP with a long endurance rating! Having one SP stud on a staff can make a big difference for a tired bullpen.

I almost never set the team reliever strategy to "aggressive".

chasenally

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:24 am

I don't know Crushers settings but looks like the same for his Pitchers. In game 2 Givens PC (57) was more then any other pitcher you had in. Is he set up for Mop Up? I haven't read the rules for the new SP Pitching, maybe that has something to do with it. They did add another spot for Pitching on the roster so maybe they changed how that works to be instep with the game now. Hardly anyone completes a game or goes past 6 innings. Aggressive Relief will shut down the Starter sooner though from what I have experienced
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

milleram

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 am

Something is wrong:

Here is a game where Sale came out at F9 (no weakness yet) in the 6th (7 inning endurance) and HAL put in a tired reliever at F0-- the whole pen was tired---tell me this is normal. NO F settings, No settings of any type for Sale--blank across Pitcher Preferences.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 439097/612

visick

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks...

I rest my case.

geekor

PostMon Mar 11, 2019 2:23 pm

milleram wrote:Something is wrong:

Here is a game where Sale came out at F9 (no weakness yet) in the 6th (7 inning endurance) and HAL put in a tired reliever at F0-- the whole pen was tired---tell me this is normal. NO F settings, No settings of any type for Sale--blank across Pitcher Preferences.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 439097/612

I have DeGrom and Nola to slow and not remove before F8, they only go less than 7 if they gives up 3 runs.

I understand what's being asked (if a SP is not fatigued at all they should not be removed). But also, there are additional settings for a reason.

visick

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:56 am

https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/439353/13

Taylor Cole working on a 1 hitter.
Strikes out 10 in 4 innings.
Cole is set for SLOW HOOK.
Pulled @ F9.
Relief settings are NORMAL

"Like Steve is saying, the lower the starter endurance ratings (esp in recent 200X sets), the more likely the starter might be pulled while still at F9.
And yes, situational in-game matchups can make the "non-tired-hook" more likely."

With all due respect guys, these 2 situations seem more likely in a face to face game. A computer is black and white. What's the use of having settings? F9 is F9. A pitcher is not sorta kind tired. And in game match ups? C'mon man... in this case, Cole is pulled to start the 5th, and the first 2 batters are K. Davis And Y. Puig, both righties.

SOMETHING HAS CHANGED WITH THE GAME ENGINE.

geekor

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 11:49 am

have you emailed strat (since they don't read the boards)

milleram

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I wrote Strat about my game above and got the generic "this happens some times" answer.

I never remember it happening like that (though it may have). I have noticed it happening to my opponents recently also--Pens are full of tired relievers more often too, so I agree the game engine has changed--I seldom use F settings anymore (I have been more successful without them) but I think it is going to become a necessary to use them now.

ScumbyJr

PostTue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Obviously there is something in the black box to prevent these"openers" from becoming "super-starters". Some ATG players are against what they call "super-relievers' especially Dale Murray

KEVINEHLE

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 6:13 pm

All of my S4s have had hard stops at 4 IPs no matter how well they pitch. No exceptions for me. Has anyone's S4 starters surpassed 4 IPs?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx