Did Strat start using a pitch count?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

freeman

Re: Did Strat start using a pitch count?

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 4:52 pm

What Steve said. I do regret the tone I used, that's one of the things I like about Strat is there generally is civility in most discussions. And my tone was bound to get a like response. My bad.

visick

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 5:00 pm

"Because the pitchers you are referring to are ACTUALLY rated as R3 in the game engine. They were never supposed to be SP's in the first place. It was a mistake"

Sorry Steve... but they could have "fixed" this. This was their mistake.
Strahm was a S4 when the game came out, thus he should be a starter.

Even so, if we take your answer, why is a "RP" getting pulled @ F9?

I've seen RP's toss complete games when a SP is hurt.

geekor

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 5:18 pm

visick wrote:"Because the pitchers you are referring to are ACTUALLY rated as R3 in the game engine. They were never supposed to be SP's in the first place. It was a mistake"

They changed the game engine for these S4 (and all RP that start) for 2018. There is code in there now that doesn't allow them to go over their endurance by more than 1 (so an R3 starting will only pitch 4 innings max).

Confirmed they added in code via email from strat support, I'm guessing at what the code is, but I'm sure I'm not far off.

STEVE F

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 5:59 pm

visick wrote:"Because the pitchers you are referring to are ACTUALLY rated as R3 in the game engine. They were never supposed to be SP's in the first place. It was a mistake"

Because a reliever can only pitch a max of 2 innings beyond his fatigue number,

milleram

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 12:22 am

visick has a point---we drafted these teams under one set of rules, but have to play the games under a new set of rules that puts these 4 inning starters at a disadvantage.

They should be treated like 4 inning starters, not 3 inning relievers that start --- after all they were rated S4. Strat made a mistake--OK---Strat fixed the mistake after two weeks (took the SR ratings away), thats OK too--but they put those of us that drafted teams in that two week window in a bad way with over used bullpens. Only those teams that have a couple of long expensive relivers, or long bullpens can survive it--and we didn't draft teams under those assumptions.

freeman

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 1:35 pm

You could just as easily argue that the other 11 managers were disadvantaged by it, that any disadvantage was off-set if not more than off-set by the advantage gained.These pitchers were bargains for the price. In my league the owner with Strahm has gotten 111 innings at a 1.97 ERA. (He has a an 82-77 overall record but an 18-13 or 19-12 record in Strahm's games--got tired of scrolling through the games so was off by a game) And he must have had a stringent setting on Strahm because he only averaged a little over three innings; if you could get 5 innings he would really be valuable. As for overtaxing the bullpen, how much would would you count on an S4 to give you? Seems like if you're drafting an S4 you are going to adjust your bullpen accordingly. Even with the innings restrictions Strahm was an incredible bargain. I had Woodruff on one team and he gave me 106 innings at a 3.96 ERA. If anyone should be complaining it should be the other owners. For people who got players at a bargain because of miscoding to be complaining is a little surprising to me.

visick

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 2:01 pm

"how much would would you count on an S4 to give you?"

You have a point.

However, I would expect a SP to be pulled according to Strat's SP rules.

Let's forget about the names here. Pitcher A is a S4 rating.
Why is he getting pulled from games when he's still @ F9?
Why is he getting pulled from games in the middle of 2 NO-Hitters?

When I first saw Strahm, I was impressed with his card. I LOVE LH's that are reverse. Especially when they give up almost nothing on the right side. But, there's no reason for him getting yanked. Or any SP when their endurance is still @ F9.

milleram

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I would count on a good S4 giving me roughly 5 innings a game, 6 in some--not 3 innings a game--3 innings is exactly what I am averaging out of these --- "4"--- inning starters and like visick they are pulled at random still F9 after 3 innings throwing no-hitters or 1-hitters, and 5 innings is the max--but the odds of getting 5 is not good.

Of course they are still vulnerable to the 5 run inning too like all starters, so there is nothing good about them as Starters, they devalued them more than they would be as relievers--mind you they would get many more innings as relievers, being able to pitch 2 out of 3 days instead of 1 out of 5 as a starter and still being able to go 5 innings---These 4 inning starters a much more of a liability than an asset.

freeman

PostSat May 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Look at what Strahm has done for one team as a reliever...

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1510803

visick

PostMon May 06, 2019 8:43 am

That card is a bargain card. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx