Pricing - Who's high, who's low?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

geekor

Re: Pricing - Who's high, who's low?

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:15 pm

joethejet wrote:Geekor, So, would you differentiate between a 1b with OB versus, say, a LF with OB?

Of course. We've seen the def graphs. The difference in runs saved at 1B between a 1 and a 3 ins't worth more than .5 - 1 mil (errors are a different story). It's also the low speed. If he was * B stealer, and not causing DP's, than that would also be different.

Def and OB have been over-priced for a while. It was luckyman (or maybe qksilver, I can't remember) who made a killing off all OB/HR bomber teams. It led to OB getting weighed higher and higher, but it went past the point where it's essentially a small penalty for high OB guys.

Def is the same way, but more when a 1 1B gets a bump that large when it doesn't validate that.

STEVE F

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Interesting. J Pav has argued that defense is still UNDERpriced. That's what makes this game so interesting, different opinions and strategies.

FWIW, I think Culberson is a solid value at 4.14

joethejet

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:56 pm

geekor wrote:
joethejet wrote:Geekor, So, would you differentiate between a 1b with OB versus, say, a LF with OB?

Of course. We've seen the def graphs. The difference in runs saved at 1B between a 1 and a 3 ins't worth more than .5 - 1 mil (errors are a different story). It's also the low speed. If he was * B stealer, and not causing DP's, than that would also be different.

Def and OB have been over-priced for a while. It was luckyman (or maybe qksilver, I can't remember) who made a killing off all OB/HR bomber teams. It led to OB getting weighed higher and higher, but it went past the point where it's essentially a small penalty for high OB guys.

Def is the same way, but more when a 1 1B gets a bump that large when it doesn't validate that.

Geekor, are you taking DPs (or lack thereof) into consideration? In addition, there is the chain effect of allowing a runner to reach in that the next hitter gets to hit and has chances to do good things.

I don't recall anyone's success or failure having an impact on pricing.

joethejet

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 11:58 pm

toronto50 wrote:Not sure how most people evaluate cards. Culberson not worth 4 mill and I would not seek him out at his faulty price. I mentioned Nimmo and the response was his obp and def etc. ..I know why card values cost, but when I view certain cards I know they will not produce. Nimmo will not produce anything close to that cost

Well, high OB guys need players on their teams to move the around don't they? Putting Nimmo or Votto in front of, say, Kris Davis or O'Hearn, Voit or Ohtani might up their value. Are you taking into consideration runs scored?

toronto50

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 8:44 am

For me its the "eye test" of the card. I do not believe that nimmos card will replicate or produce the cost. I evaluate cards slightly different than most I guess

the ghost of roger maris

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 2:08 pm

it seems to me the best teams are ones that do have balance....
good up the middle defense hopefully with 2 or more also good OB
to hit before the sluggers....
I have a stacked team and I noticed that that team often wore out bullpens by the third game...
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

toronto50

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Lorenzo Cain vs Brandon Nimmo... How are those cards almost the same cost???

visick

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Nimmo plays multiple positions.
Nimmo is N power vs RH
Nimmo has 52.8 OB vs RH's

MARCPELLETIER

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 am

I was just having an exchange with SteveF...

There are 5 4-inning starters whose salaries are way way off their potential

Strahm,M*
Lugo,S
Ferguson,C*
Woodruff,B
Elias,R*

These 5 pitchers should be 1M and 2M above their pricetag...maybe more...or maybe they shouldn't be starting pitchers and be just relievers...

lpezzeme

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Apparently.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx