Ohtani-Keeper Leagues

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Roscodog

Ohtani-Keeper Leagues

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 4:30 pm

Thoughts on how to best manage Ohtani in keeper leagues?
Should a manager be able to carry both his hitter and pitcher cards as one player? So basically playing with a 26 man roster as opposed to a 25.
Should he count as 2 players?
If you start him as a pitcher don’t start him as a DH?

Regardless it would suck once rosters expand to 28 players.

In a keeper league a mangers could also use his pitching card one night and drop the card for the hitter card the following night.

Was really hoping Strat would find a way to combine him into one card.

I imagine this topic will have to be discussed in a few leagues.

I personally have him in 2 leagues.

Also wonder what his card is like in no DH leagues?

chasenally

Re: Ohtani-Keeper Leagues

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm

well I just tried to add him as a pitcher and a hitter. I cant add him as a hitter because it tells me that I already have him. Looks like this could be a problem. I could drop him every series but why couldn't he PH days he doesn't pitch?

Mike
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Ninersphan

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 pm

chasenally wrote:well I just tried to add him as a pitcher and a hitter. I cant add him as a hitter because it tells me that I already have him. Looks like this could be a problem. I could drop him every series but why couldn't he PH days he doesn't pitch?

Mike

Going to have to see if tech support will let us have both at once.

Radagast Brown

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 11:51 pm

His hitting card is awful and doesn't reflect his OBP at all, I think they made a mistake...

EDIT: I see the problem,... the card is fine,... it is his graph below the card that is way off.

ycbill

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 3:36 am

Copied from the 365 Rules: The Regular Season, Your Roster section

Notable changes for 2018 Season

- Starting with the 2018 season, the minimum roster size during the season has been raised to 25 players (formerly 24), and the valid range of the number of pitchers you can/must carry during the season has been changed to 11-14 (formerly 10-12).

- Shohei Ohtani has two separate cards - one as a pitcher, and one as a hitter. Only one of them may be owned and played at a time. However, if you own one of his cards, you have the exclusive option of dropping it and picking up the other one, though it would count as a regular free agent transaction, including drop penalty.

geekor

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 5:17 am

ycbill wrote:Copied from the 365 Rules: The Regular Season, Your Roster section

- Starting with the 2018 season, the minimum roster size during the season has been raised to 25 players (formerly 24), and the valid range of the number of pitchers you can/must carry during the season has been changed to 11-14 (formerly 10-12).

- Shohei Ohtani has two separate cards - one as a pitcher, and one as a hitter. Only one of them may be owned and played at a time. However, if you own one of his cards, you have the exclusive option of dropping it and picking up the other one, though it would count as a regular free agent transaction, including drop penalty.

i'm not a fan of either of these choices. We went from 23 to 24 and now 25. The 11 pitcher min is also not friendly, especially since they took out the S1.

Ohtani should at least be free to change, what are you going to do right before game 142, pitcher or hitter?

the ghost of roger maris

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 7:55 am

agreed he is one player and no reason he can't be used more than the LAA used him just as many folks get several hundred at bats from players whose MLB totals were less than 100 abs.....
maybe a poll can be held then email the results to STRATO
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

Ninersphan

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 12:10 pm

I've sent an email to support to see if the game engine will allow both Ohtani cards to be on a roster at once. Let's see what they say.

KEVINEHLE

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Ninersphan wrote:I've sent an email to support to see if the game engine will allow both Ohtani cards to be on a roster at once. Let's see what they say.

Yeah, this seems like a no-brainer. Can't believe SOM couldn't figure out something as simple as having two different numbers assigned to his 2 different cards so they can put him on the same team. We can have Jose Ramirez, hitter, and Jose Ramirez, RP on the same roster....but they can't figure out how to have the SAME guy on 1 team as a hitter/pitcher. Ridiculous.

KEVINEHLE

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm

geekor wrote:
ycbill wrote:Copied from the 365 Rules: The Regular Season, Your Roster section

i'm not a fan of either of these choices. We went from 23 to 24 and now 25. The 11 pitcher min is also not friendly, especially since they took out the S1.

Ohtani should at least be free to change, what are you going to do right before game 142, pitcher or hitter?

Yeah, I have Ohtani in a couple keeper leagues. It's inconvenient to manually switch him back and forth when it's his time pitch during the season, but another thing to lose 1 of him after Game 142 and for the playoffs. Absurd!
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx