Magic Teams

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

J-Pav

Re: Magic Teams

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Joe,

If you get the chance, I’d really like to see how this team rated out.

Thx!

joethejet

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 9:56 pm

J-Pav wrote:Joe,

If you get the chance, I’d really like to see how this team rated out.

Thx!

Teams are a bit different, but rate similarly, 2350-2360. I didn't do all your parks so...

Good, playoff worthy, but not exceptional ratings.

Again susceptible to hard RHP, but you're in Wrigley so I get it. Of course you crush LHP. Looks like you dominated them to compile your record.

You're not as weak in the injury perspective, but with only one guy that can't get injured for 15 games, you're going to need to get some breaks on the die rolls there.

Offensively you're good enough v RHP.

All I got at first glance.

J-Pav

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 10:55 pm

Why do you think a team with such average “ratings” could very nearly win four championships in four unique leagues?

joethejet

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 12:37 am

Oh, they aren't average, they are playoff caliber ratings.

I would say that you faced a lot of LHP and not very many hard rhp and that you were relatively lucky with injuries.

I'm not surprised that these teams would make the playoffs in an AD league.

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Poll to the community:

What is the power source of a Magic Team?

A. Lucky dice.
B. Value added individual player selections.
C. Salary construction.
D. Team suited to the ballpark (opposition ballparks).
E. Other

I want to circle back to the original questions. More often than not, similar teams fail to repeat their performances. Why do you think that would be? When a team DOES repeat its performance, why do you think THAT would be?

joethejet

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Well, it would be interesting to run these teams, against the same competition, on the game sim engine on the PC like 40 times to see. Even 5-6 leagues isn't really a significant sample.

Look, I think they are good teams with good ratings. They *should* be in the running for a playoff spot more often than not. In fact, I would say that in most AD leagues, they would have to end up in a very tough division or have luck go against them to NOT make the playoffs.

Are there flaws in these teams? I think it's pretty obvious that there are. It feels like you're ignoring my comments and just saying. "Yeah, but they made the playoffs". Do you disagree with my pros and cons of these teams?

J-Pav

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm

No, not at all; however, I think you might be missing what I’m getting at.

Step 1: Build the best team you can (2700+ ratings points).
Step 2: Collect your rings.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t usually work out that way. The same exact 100 win team can miss the playoffs in another league. I’m asking why that might be. Further, if teams persist in winning, why would that be?

I guess if there’s disagreement, it would be that 5-6 leagues isn’t significant. In a universe where many (most?) teams can’t win twice, it appears to me that winning 3-4 unique leagues is worth further inspection. It has nothing to do with your analysis of the teams, or even my own for that matter.

To go a step further, I would not likely EVER draft a team like the Wrigley team because my own analysis would never take me in that direction. Like you did, I can point to many flaws that I see need to be overcome. In fact, here’s a Wrigley team where I used mcsoupy’s general outline, but poured some J Sauce on it (i.e., better defense, much improved vs RHP):

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1499585 (Yes, another Finals loser that can’t make it over the finish line).

So, that I can take a team that I don’t necessarily “believe in” and autopilot it to victory gives me a lot to think about.

waynick

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm

For your poll, I would take B then D,. My E would be how you handle your team's settings. Never really considered luck as an option. I'm probably an average player at best, but don't really think bad luck is keeping from consistently winning. Preparation & execution = being lucky. Always enjoy threads like this.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Come join us in Jeeps Crazy 88's League and add 8M more to the teams cap - It will allow you to get that Monster Closer or Setup Man, Starter or stud hitter for the middle of your lineup. Should be fun.
:D ;)

J-Pav

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 3:51 pm

:?
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx