Graphs

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

milleram

Graphs

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 am

Can we go back to the old standings graphs?? These new ones are a mess of zig-zag lines--I'm cross-eyed enough without them. (Insert cross-eyed emoticon that doesn't exist yet)

If you must--put this new graph on the second standings tab an reinstate the original graph.

Spider 67

Re: Graphs

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 pm

I agree - well, I don't know if milleram is cross-eyed - but I really liked the old graphs. I thought they were a great addition.

ggyuppie

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 am

I’ll chime in too. The new graph format is vastly inferior to the first one.

Being a relative newbie to this community I generally hesitate to pile on, but I’m in a mood so here comes a rant!

In the age of big data and AI, how nice would it be if cumulative wins or winning percentage graphs were not the most dynamic element of the platform? We should have way more stats. How about batting average with RISP? with 2 outs and RISP?

How about taking the PBP out of Beta? If it’s still in Beta, how about tinkering with it? In the game engine, x ratings, defensive arm ratings and player speed ratings all combine to make dramatic outcomes, as do the plus rules like outfielders stealing home runs. How about revealing those events in the PBP?

How about allowing users more control over the computer manager? Like specifying when players should be pinch hit for. Or keying specific opponent’s batters as intentional walk targets. Or differentiating between desire to steal 2nd and 3rd. Or telling Hal you don’t want to try for an extra base when your down 2 or 3 runs in the 9th. It goes on.

Hal designed an awesome game and I suppose we can always just go back and play it, but there are undeniable benefits to the online format. Too bad it’s stagnating.

Davesodu

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 3:56 pm

ggyuppie wrote:I’ll chime in too. The new graph format is vastly inferior to the first one.

+1 more. The new graphs are terrible.

milleram

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 4:46 pm

NO---I'm not crossed eyed--it was a feeble attempt at humor. :roll:

I just think the old graphs were easier to tell what is/was going on at a glance--a long straight line is a losing streak and a long diagonal upward was a winning streak.

These are there in the new graph too just--just not as easy (for me anyway) to see quickly. The original graph had win totals too and a trajectory toward 100 wins you could see easily -- the new graph is just winning PCT.

GoldyHOF

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 am

ggyuppie wrote:I’ll chime in too. The new graph format is vastly inferior to the first one.

Being a relative newbie to this community I generally hesitate to pile on, but I’m in a mood so here comes a rant!

In the age of big data and AI, how nice would it be if cumulative wins or winning percentage graphs were not the most dynamic element of the platform? We should have way more stats. How about batting average with RISP? with 2 outs and RISP?

How about taking the PBP out of Beta? If it’s still in Beta, how about tinkering with it? In the game engine, x ratings, defensive arm ratings and player speed ratings all combine to make dramatic outcomes, as do the plus rules like outfielders stealing home runs. How about revealing those events in the PBP?

How about allowing users more control over the computer manager? Like specifying when players should be pinch hit for. Or keying specific opponent’s batters as intentional walk targets. Or differentiating between desire to steal 2nd and 3rd. Or telling Hal you don’t want to try for an extra base when your down 2 or 3 runs in the 9th. It goes on.

Hal designed an awesome game and I suppose we can always just go back and play it, but there are undeniable benefits to the online format. Too bad it’s stagnating.

You are correct. And how much more popular could the online site/game be if it was a bit more flashy and had a few more options? It has to make money at the price per team charged. How much more could it make with a little TLC? I've offered to help at no charge. Forum, email support, marketing, etc. I've got 30 years of management/business ownership/customer service experience. Never even got a reply.

ScumbyJr

PostSun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm

It is absurd. The percentage gap between all teams will converge as the season progresses. Worthless garbage.

LMBombers

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:23 am

Why does the graph go up to 1.2 for winning pct? No team can ever have better than a 1.000 winning pct. Lets go back to the old graphs please.

joethejet

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

I think the new winning pct is MUCH better than the old way. The old one ALWAYS moved up, you couldn't see when your team was trending down because it ALWAYS went up. With winning pct it is MUCH easier to see when your team has hit a skid.

Now, I do think they need to zoom in some, there's no reason to have the top be 1.2 and there should be a line at .500 which would be very valuable. To me the chart should be from .200 to .800 with anything above and below just off the chart since this only happens at the very beginning of the season anyway. If the numbers show are closer, the variance will be larger.

Look at the Central here:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/438103

It is much easier with this chart to see that Sheboygan rode a hot streak and then slumped while the Northmen have had a slow climb.

I'll post an image later tonight with what I think it would look like if it were zoomed in with a line at .500

joethejet

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 12:27 am

See if you guys think this is an improvement

http://joethejet.x10host.com/WinPct.jpg
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx