State of MLB....

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

george barnard

Re: State of MLB....

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 7:18 am

I've got to admit that I'm torn. Living in France, I don't get to see many live games, but earlier this year did get the chance to see a minor league game (in Richmond, VA) and a "major" league game (Indians at Orioles) and was able to watch a lot of Giants games on TV this past month. The basics are still there -- good pitching will still beat good hitting, it's just that our definitions of what constitutes good pitching and good hitting are in flux. The ironman starter who paced himself by letting his fielders take care of business for the second-tier hitters and then digging in when facing the guys who could really hurt you. The trend, as we all know, is for all out heat, knowing that niche pitchers are right behind. I'm still nostalgic for a "purer" time: I remember howling (interiorly) when my Little League manager would take me out in the sixth inning to let someone else play -- I wanted to finish.

I just found this article about Joe West confiscating Austin Davis' cheat sheet:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/09/02/baseball/mlb/umpire-confiscates-phillies-pitchers-cheat-sheet/

This seems to sum up the changes in the game -- and not necessarily for the better. Have to admit that if a pitcher can't remember a few basic notes, well then....how difficult is bust him inside, move him outside, bust him back in? Shouldn't the catcher be the one with the cards (though I haven't gotten used to seeing outfielders pulling index cards out of their back pockets -- Gates Brown stuffed two hot dogs down his shirt one game? Or shouldn't the manager be calling the pitches if it so important?
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx