State of MLB....

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

DARRELLPICKELL

State of MLB....

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 pm

I was just watching Quick Pitch on the MLB network.... Oakland A's.... last night they used
their 31st pitcher of the season. It is only August 11th... This is beyond ridiculous. Teams now
are using the minors for match ups.... oh, we have a three game set vs (fill in the blank).... we need
more right handed relievers. Etc, etc. They are not the only ones to be doing this. Players don't even need
to be hurt or doing poorly to be sent down. They get used to much.... send them down to the minors to
rest.

Just a rant... sorry. Not the game I grew up with. Most of the time a fan has no idea who is on the
roster of their favorite team anymore. I guess all this is the reason I don't watch as much anymore.

I keep my interest in baseball alive here playing SOM.

Btw... you would think it might become a problem for SOM at some point. So many players... must
be hard to do the "as played" feature now days.

STEVE F

Re: State of MLB....

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm

DARRELLPICKELL wrote:I was just watching Quick Pitch on the MLB network.... Oakland A's.... last night they used
their 31st pitcher of the season. It is only August 11th... This is beyond ridiculous. Teams now
are using the minors for match ups.... oh, we have a three game set vs (fill in the blank).... we need
more right handed relievers. Etc, etc. They are not the only ones to be doing this. Players don't even need
to be hurt or doing poorly to be sent down. They get used to much.... send them down to the minors to
rest.

Just a rant... sorry. Not the game I grew up with. Most of the time a fan has no idea who is on the
roster of their favorite team anymore. I guess all this is the reason I don't watch as much anymore.

I keep my interest in baseball alive here playing SOM.

Btw... you would think it might become a problem for SOM at some point. So many players... must
be hard to do the "as played" feature now days.

I couldn't agree more. I can't remember a MLB season I was LESS interested in than this season!

visick

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 1:32 pm

"Btw... you would think it might become a problem for SOM at some point. So many players... must
be hard to do the "as played" feature now days"

The days of the *SP are dwindling down. Strat is going to have to adjust to this at some point.

Perhaps a way for them to adjust to what you are talking about would be to have a "farm system" allocated to your team.
You would/could draft a 25 man team and then draft say 5-10 farm system players who you owned and could make roster moves with without affecting your payroll.

IDK, just a thought

visick

ggyuppie

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm

visick wrote:
Perhaps a way for them to adjust to what you are talking about would be to have a "farm system" allocated to your team.
You would/could draft a 25 man team and then draft say 5-10 farm system players who you owned and could make roster moves with without affecting your payroll.

IDK, just a thought

visick

We’ve done exactly that with a franchise-themed keeper league using the daily game. A core franchise plus 26 free agents drafted prior to each season. No salary cap. Works well. Doing that type of thing with a static card set doesn’t really make sense, since there’s always an optimal roster at a given salary cap, unless you have injuries or you’re swapping guys in and out situationally based on your opponents.

LMBombers

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 7:26 am

If you are not interested in this season, as one poster pointed out above, then that means your favorite team is not in the running for a playoff spot. Being a Red Sox fan this season seems pretty magical to me.

As to players going up and down to the minor leagues....I don't believe the rules have changed in the number of times you can option a player to the minors before running out of options on that player. So this would not be any different from years past. I do not believe they have been cycling pitchers through AAA as a strategy for reasons other than injuries or possibly for an upcoming double header which is no different than years past.

You saw that Fernando Rodney was the 31st pitcher used by the A's this season. They just traded for him. He did not come up from the minors. They have also had bad luck losing pitchers to the DL this year so they are forced to trade for pitchers, bring some pitchers up or sign old pitchers like Edwin Jackson and Brett Anderson who were out of MLB.

The below paragraph is taken from a July 10 CBS article:
The A's injury collection hasn't received the same attention as those of other California-based teams, like the Angels and Dodgers, but it's nearly been as dire. At the moment, the A's have eight players on the disabled list: outfielders Matt Joyce and Boog Powell, and pitchers Paul Blackburn, Trevor Cahill, Jharel Cotton, Daniel Gossett, Daniel Mengden, and Andrew Triggs -- that's two most-days starting positional players and six starting pitchers … yes, six.

I don't know how you could blame the A's bad luck with pitcher injuries as the reason your interest in MLB has waned.

STEVE F

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Nope. Dodger fan here. Still don't like "today's game". This is not baseball

LMBombers

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I guess you will have to define "todays game" that you don't like for us to understand. Is it the shorter SP outings and specialty RP that you don't like? Is it defensive shifts? Is it that fielders are protected from being run into on slides? Is it that umpires don't wear those big outside chest protectors behind the plate any longer? Is it batting helmets or maybe the DH rule? Is it more international players today vs the old days? Is it that Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle don't play any longer?

Whatever the reason is I do respect your opinion. I guess you just enjoy baseball games like SOM but not baseball itself.

Jerlins

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Baseball hasn't changed at all. Granted, the strategies have evolved, but the basics remain the same, unlike football, which has changed dramatically from days gone by.

STEVE F

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:53 am

LMBombers wrote:I guess you will have to define "todays game" that you don't like for us to understand. Is it the shorter SP outings and specialty RP that you don't like? Is it defensive shifts? Is it that fielders are protected from being run into on slides? Is it that umpires don't wear those big outside chest protectors behind the plate any longer? Is it batting helmets or maybe the DH rule? Is it more international players today vs the old days? Is it that Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle don't play any longer?

Whatever the reason is I do respect your opinion. I guess you just enjoy baseball games like SOM but not baseball itself.

Pretty much all of the above, but the biggest thing that irks me is the heavy reliance on the "3 true outcome" style of at bats. The SP's all being S5's (at best) would be the next thing on my list. I used to be able to make a decent amount of side income betting, based almost entirely upon who the starting pitchers were. Thing of the past now.

The Biomechanical Man

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 9:50 am

I pretty much agree with Jerlins. Baseball hasn't changed much; the strategy has changed though.

I'd say there have been some changes, including bigger stronger athletes and more injuries. The defensive shifting, better short relief, and more homerun/strikeout swinging are strategies that have evolved.

The beauty is that SOM is well-suited to handle these changes. The SP* is fading away to SP-5 pitchers, which is frankly overdue for reflecting the play as NO MODERN PITCHERS pitch every fourth game for 41 starts. SOM has injury ratings, so hitters are becoming less "bulletproof" in the game. One major omission in SOM is pitcher injuries (we draft modern pitching staffs in this game with far too little concern about pitching injuries), but overall the SOM is in good shape for recreating today's game (SOM 20xx) and for simulating today's players against all-time greats (ATG).
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx